Chapter 23: The Devil Works Hard But This Bitch Works Harder

Hey, sorry for the overdue update. I wasn't really in the mood to write lately. I do hope you'll forgive me and please accept this new chapter as my way of apologizing.

***

CHAPTER 23: The devil works hard but this bitch works harder

September 10, 2024

I looked at the painting that was hanged on the national museum. It was my favorite among the rest but I think I'm just being bias. By time to time, I come here just to look at it.

The artist who made it was Joseph Mari Hernandez and the painting was all about the general's first love, me.

A lot of people wondered and researched about the mystery woman who captivated the heart of the great General Antonio Del Mundo. To their dismay, they didn't get any information about me and up to now, I am one of the greatest mysteries in Philippine History.

They really are just curious to know who I am.

The painting has been well preserved as it should be. It is a part of my memory or shall I say...our memory together and I shall forever cherish it.

A man around 5'11 feet tall stand beside me... Like me, he was appreciating the painting. I was minding my own business until he said something that caught my attention.

"The mystery woman, huh...?" His voice sounded eerily familiar. I have heard of his voice before.

I looked up and he looked down at me. I was quite petite so it was a struggle for his part to look at me.

When I looked closely at his facial features, I realized that I have met him before...a long, long time ago.

"Hey, it's you..." I said.

***

Present time, 2019

My romantic getaway with Antonio has ended and as much as we want to extend our stay, it's time to go back home and face the harsh reality.

Driving back home wasn't fun at all. Antonio wasn't socializing as much as I hoped for but I understand him. After today, I can just go back to doing all the things I did before meeting him but as for Antonio, he's going to face the inevitable.

But can everything turn back to normal after everything for me? Now that Antonio has my heart? I hardly doubt it.

After three hours of driving and beating the Cebu traffic, we finally arrived home.

I noticed that Jay's car is parked at the garage. I really don't want to deal with him today or any day but he has the audacity to show up when he's not even welcomed.

"Jay's here." I sighed. Even the thought of him being around is giving me a headache.

"You're not going to yell him, right?" Antonio asked.

"Of course not..." I casually lied at him. I really want to yell at Jay but I don't want Antonio to know. I think he had enough of our petty fights already. "Just stay here for a while."

I went inside the house and was ready to have another argument with Jay but to my surprise, he wasn't alone.

"Joshua..." As I mentioned his name, I felt uneasy. I looked around and I saw my grandpa's photos scattered on the floor. It was everywhere including the pictures he had with both Clara and grandma. "What's...going on?"

I felt like my stomach was being twisted when I asked the question to Joshua. I already know the answer but I feel like I am in denial.

"I was hoping you'd tell me, Lana." Joshua said through gritted teeth. He looked at me with disappointment and I don't know I can handle that.