two

It was now Wednesday, my shift started at 12 but Ally wasn't excepting that I was going to work. It was currently 11 o'clock and Ally was in the lounge watching TV. Yesterday we put Ally's hearing aids back in, she was feeling better and her ears weren't causing her anymore problems. When I walked to where Ally was seated the door to the apartment opened and Cheryl walked in. I smiled at her while brushing a strand of hair from Ally's face, 'Ally, can you listen to me?' I said to her, she turned her head and I continued on and said 'mummy's got to go to work for a bit, but I will be home to put you to bed' Ally frowned and said 'no mummy, stay home with Ally' I gave a sad smile and I said 'I can't baby, mummy needs to go to work so she can get your medicine to make you all better. Auntie Cheryl will look after you, can you promise to be a good girl?' Ally shook her head and climbed onto my lap 'I don't want you to go, stay mummy please?' I hugged her tightly and I said 'I'm sorry baby, we can go to the park tomorrow. I promise' she climbed out of my lap and ran to Cheryl who was in the kitchen. She grabbed a hold of Cheryl's leg and gestured to be picked up.

Once in Cheryl's arms she cuddled into her chest and I gave Cheryl a sad smile. Cheryl whispered something in Ally's ear and put her back to the floor. She walked up to me slowly and held her arms up, 'I sorry mummy, I sad you leaving' she said quietly once she was rested on my hip, I smiled and left a longing kiss on her head. 'I know Al, I love you so much sweetie, always' I said while hugging her tightly. 'I love you more mummy, promise you home for bedtime?' She whispered to me while hugging me back, 'I promise, how about a sleepover in mummy's bed tonight. As a treat if your good for Auntie Cheryl?' I said with a smile on my face, she nodded eagerly and I kissed her cheek before putting her back on the sofa. I kissed the top of her head and whispered 'see you later alligator' she laughed and whispered back 'in while croc-dile' I smirked while i said goodbye to Cheryl and then left the apartment ready for my first shift.

When I arrived at the bar I was instantly greeted by a eager Veronica, I smiled at her and she proceeded to talk me round and tell me what to do. We settled by the bar and she said 'okay, last question before you start your shift. Do you have any preferences for shifts, like timings?' I nodded my head and said 'it would be better if during the week I was doing daytime shifts, as I have to be home for 4 o'clock everyday but weekends I can do nightshifts as long as they are after 6pm. Also it would be better if me, Toni and Cheryl didn't all work at the same time. But only if that's possible if not, I can rearrange a few things and I can be available' Veronica shook her head and she said 'no Betty, of course. I can sort the timetable out tonight and give you a copy. If that's everything I will let Archie and Toni show you how we work the bar. Have a good first shift and we'll catch up later.' I smiled and nodded my head while walking behind the bar to where they were waiting for me.

After a few hours it reached 4 o'clock and I was due to go on a break. I headed out the back and sat on the steps at the back of the bar, I pulled out my phone and gave Cheryl a call.

Cheryl: I swear if your calling to check your daughters still alive I'm going to hang the phone up.
Betty: I completely trust you C, but... she's never reacted that way when I left before. I'm just checking she was okay after I left...
Cheryl: Betty, she's fine. She went down for a nap around 2 hours ago. I will make her dinner, give her a bath and she will be ready for her bedtime story the second you come through the door. Now stop worrying, she needs to get use to you working and you need to get use to trusting others and trusting she's okay.
Betty: I know, I'm sorry C. Just tell her I love her okay?
Cheryl: you can tell her yourself, she just woke up. Let me get her hearing aid and you can have a quick word
Betty: thank you C

After a minute I heard the sleepy voice of Ally in the phone:

Ally: hello?
Betty: hi baby
Ally: hi mummy
Betty: I love you, be a good girl for auntie Cheryl
Ally: I will mummy, I happy to sleep in big bed with you
Betty: I know baby, mummy needs to go now
Ally: bye mummy