twenty-six

Jugheads POV:
It was now early on Friday morning, I was sitting in the hospital waiting room. My leg was bouncing and I was biting my nails, waiting for the doctor to come and speak to me about Betty was killing me.

At around 4:30 am Cheryl walked through the door with Toni following, when she saw me she ran over and hugged me. 'What's happened? Have you heard anything?' She said, I shrugged and said quietly 'they haven't said anything, she woke up really early this morning and she was in so much pain. It was in her stomach... she said she didn't know what it was' Cheryl nodded and said 'do you know anything?' I shook my head 'last thing they said to me was she's going into emergency surgery' Cheryl rested her head on my shoulder and Toni sat on the other side of her holding her hand.

It wasn't until 8 o'clock that morning that we heard something, the doctor came and said 'Elizabeth Cooper' we all stood up and he said 'surgery went well, she has been moved to a private room. When taking a scan of her abdomen, we thought we would have found a ruptured appendix but unfortunately that wasn't the case. Are you the partner?' The doctor said to me, I nodded and he said 'I'm really sorry but Miss Cooper had an ectopic pregnancy, this is where the egg implants it's self in the tube or outside of the uterus. The reason for her severe abdominal pain was because it was close to rupturing, I'm really sorry but the baby didn't make it' I nodded, still not fully understanding what he was telling me. Betty was pregnant? I felt Cheryls grip tighten on my hand and I squeezed back as reassurance.

Once the doctor showed us to her room, Cheryl and Toni let me go inside. I sat down next to her bed, she looked really peaceful. The doctor had said she was coming out of the sedation but she would be very tired. I sat by the side of her bed and I said 'hi baby, you scared me you know. I don't think I've been this scared since we lost Charlie. Dads looking after ally but I'm going to go and see her really soon as she will probably be confused. Cheryl and Toni are here as well.... we spoke to the doctor and found out the surgery went well and when you wake up we can talk about it. I love you Betty, I'll be back in a few hours' I kissed her head and headed back out to where Cheryl and Toni were, I wiped the tear that rolled down my face and I said 'I need to go and see ally, I'm going to come back in a few hours and maybe you could take ally for the afternoon. She's been asking for you guys all week, she'd love to see you.' Cheryl nodded her head and said 'of course jug, are you okay?' She said quietly, I shrugged my shoulders and said 'I just want her to wake up' they both nodded and Cheryl hugged me and said 'I'm sorry jug, did you know?' I shook my head and said 'I don't even think Betty knew' she nodded and then smiled before walking into Betty's hospital room.

When I walked down the driveway to our house, there was another car in the driveway. I furrowed my eyebrows but continued on until I reached the door, I put my key in the lock and I was surprised by who was there.

I closed the door and came face to face with my mum and sister, I sighed to myself and said 'you weren't suppose to be here until tomorrow?' I looked at my mum and she said 'things changed' I shrugged and said 'where's dad?' My mum pointed upstairs and I said 'thanks, excuse me for a minute' and I ran up the stairs to find my dad and ally in mine and Betty's room. I walked up behind him and said 'everything okay?' He laughed and said 'she won't come out, I've tried but she wanted you or Betty. I got her downstairs about half an hour ago then your mum and sister turned up' I laughed and said 'it's okay dad, I've got her' he nodded and headed downstairs leaving me with ally.

I sat on the floor by the door waiting for her to open it slightly, she opened the door and when she saw me she happily jumped into my lap. She wrapped her arms around my neck and then signed where did you go? You and mummy gone? I rubbed her back and said I'm sorry princess, mummy was poorly and needed someone to make her feel all better she nodded and said daddy staying? I kissed her head and said yeah, I'm staying. Can we go and find your hearing aids? She nodded but refused to let go of my neck so I stood up still carrying ally.