thirty-one

Jughead's POV:
I was mad and upset on what I had just walked in on, I know I disappeared for a while, I now regret my decision.

Betty had forced my hand and told me to listen and talk to charlie. She was somewhat right, like always but sometimes it takes me longer to follow through on certain things.

She was with Archie and Veronica, she was safe. I walked out to the porch and a minute later Charlie joined me.

I sat down and didn't say anything hoping he would take that as his cue to talk, which he did.

'I'm not going to ask for your forgiveness, I don't deserve it. I know I've been gone for the last 5 years and I'm sorry I never reached out. I think I was scared, after that day things were never going to be the same. I couldn't come back, once I escaped from them I had a target on my back, I needed to stay in hiding. It was last year when I returned to Riverdale. I only came out at night but I could already see the isolation you had driven yourself into. I wanted to knock on your door and tell you I was alive but I didn't know if it was safe. I needed more time, so for the last year I spent searching riverdale and making sure none of them were left and they weren't. I was finally safe again, I should have warned you instead of just showing up but that's why I went to Ronnie first because I thought she might have been able to talk to you. Then she told me that you had a girlfriend and about Ally, that they lived with you and for the first time in 5 years you were happy. I didn't want to ruin that for you so I tried to stay away, I was going to leave again and just let you live your life but Ronnie told me to stay but I didn't want to risk you not wanting to see me. You are my best friend jug and you weren't the only one who lost something 5 years ago, I had to leave everyone behind and I know your mum and sister left and your dad went to prison. I'm sorry I wasn't here to help but I'm here now and I'm asking you, can you forgive me? Ever?' He stopped talking and waited for my response, I ran my hands over my face and before I could say anything the front door was opening. I looked up just in time to catch Ally who flung herself into my lap 'daddy, can we have ice cream now?' I smiled down at her while hugging her close. I nodded at her and she smiled back, I then looked up at Charlie to see him standing awkwardly, I looked back down at ally and then said to him 'yes, I can forgive you' his eyes widened and he smiled at me. I stood up carrying ally back inside, she was laughing and then I turned to Charlie and said 'ice cream seems to fix everyone's problems, want some?' He smiled at me and nodded before following us back inside.

I went in to see Betty laughing with Veronica and Archie, I kissed the top of her before lying ally down on the sofa, she was still laughing and then Betty smiled back at me. Charlie sat next to Veronica while
I grabbed a couple bowls of ice cream.

When I returned I sat next to ally and Betty, we ate the ice cream and spent the evening laughing and talking. We spoke about before Charlie went missing and reminiscing about when we were teenagers, after a few hours ally started to get tired. She had already had her dinner and she was lying in my side when she moved. I gently shook her and said 'al, hearing aids' she nodded before sitting up and letting me take them out. I gave them to Betty while I quickly grabbed her box from the table, she sat up and said tired dada, bedtime I smiled and nodded before saying say goodnight please. She walked over to Ronnie and Archie and signed goodnight to them, they signed it back and then hugged her tightly. She walked over to Betty and said night night mummy Betty smiled and kissed her head before hugging her night baby, have a good sleep she nodded before saying I love you Betty kissed her cheek one last time and said I love you too. Ally smiled before walking over to me and raising her arms, I happily picked her up and she settled in my arms.

I put her to bed and while I signed her a story her eye started to drift close and she was soon asleep. I kissed the top of her head before turning her night light on and pulling the door to. I headed back downstairs to see the others leaving, my mum and jellybean we're now back and in the kitchen. Veronica walked up to me and said 'I'm sorry' I could see the sadness on her face so I sighed and wrapped my arms around her tightly. I felt her relax into my arms and then she said 'I love you jug' I smiled and said 'I love you too little sister' she laughed and then said 'me and Archie finally decided on a wedding date' I pulled away and smiled at her, 'when's the big day then?' I said happily, she smiled and said 'in exactly 3 weeks today. First weekend in June, everything has been planned for months we just couldn't decide on the venue but we compromised and now we have a date' I smiled widely and hugged her again 'I'm proud of you' she smiled and said 'I'm proud of you jug and everything you do' I kissed the side of her head and said 'alright, alright. Off you go, I'll give you a call tomorrow' she nodded before walking out the door with Archie.

After 5 more minutes I walked over to Betty on the sofa, I could see she was tired so I said 'why don't we get you up to bed Betts, introductions can wait until tomorrow?' She shook her head and said 'no, I... I don't want to go to sleep' I sat down next to her and said 'what's wrong baby?' She shook her head and then cuddled into my side, my arm wrapped around her and she whispered 'I'm scared, I'm scared he's going to come back' I hugged her tightly and then said 'he is not coming back, I am going to be right next to you and we have the police right outside. He can't get in the house as all the windows and doors are locked' she nodded and said 'you promise you won't leave me' I hugged her and said 'I'm not going anywhere.'

After a few more minutes, I said goodnight to my mum and sister before helping Betty up the stairs. I had settled Betty into bed and I quickly got changed when I heard a knock on the front door. Betty sat up and I said 'baby, it's okay. It's just the police, will you be okay for a minute?' She nodded her head and then I kissed her cheek before going to open the door.

'Sorry to disturb you so late Mr Jones but I just thought you should know that Robbie Carter has been arrested and is currently in police custody, you can tell Miss Cooper she can rest easier tonight knowing he's no longer on the streets' the police officer said. I sighed in relief and shook the officers hand, 'thank you officer, will someone update us about what happens?' He nodded and said 'you should hear from the department within the week regarding the sentencing, Miss Cooper will probably have to testify, as will you. But that will all be explained at a later date' I nodded and said 'thank you so much' he shook my hand again and said 'it was my pleasure, I hope you and your family can have some peace now' I nodded before closing and locking the door again.

When I headed upstairs Betty was still sitting up on the bed waiting for me to get back, I could see the fear ease when I stepped back into the room. I got into bed and she lied down into my arms, 'what did the officer want?' She whispered, I squeezed her tightly and said 'they've got him, he's in custody and won't be getting out anytime soon' I felt her breath of relief and tears as they fell from her eyes. She was happy but the fear was still there.

I told her we would talk about everything the next day as she was so exhausted. She fell asleep almost instantly but throughout the night she had a restless sleep, me being next to her comforted her the most but that didn't stop the nightmares. She insisted she was fine and I didn't want to push and she eventually got back to sleep at around 4 in the morning.

Ally woke me up the next morning at around 6, I checked the time as ally climbed onto the bed. I kissed the top of her head and she said dada, I can't sleep I hugged her tightly and said it's okay baby, you can lie here for a bit. Maybe sleep some more she nodded as she got comfortable in my side.

Ally fell back asleep, as did I and the next time I woke up was around 9:30. Ally was starting to stir again, she cuddled into my side and then I kissed the side of Betty's head. Betty woke up slowly and when she saw Ally she smiled, Ally moved so she could hug Betty, did you sleep okay bug? Ally nodded and I could see how scared Betty was by the hug she was giving Ally. I ran my hand down her arm and I said 'Betts, your okay. Ally's okay, he's locked up and he will never touch a hair on either of your heads again' she nodded and released her grip.

We all soon got up and while Betty went to sort herself out me and Ally headed downstairs. Her hearing aids were in and she had come to help make breakfast. Everyone else was already up and dad has come round this morning for breakfast, when ally saw him she laughed and ran towards him 'grandpa, grandpa. You have pancakes with me?' She asked, he picked her up and said 'I would love to have pancakes with you princess' she smiled and then said 'auntie jelly want pancakes too?' Jelly walked into the kitchen and smiled 'I would love some al' she smiled and clapped her hands. She then fidgeted to get out of FP's arms, she put her on the floor and as I went to get the ingredients she walked over to my mum who was sitting on the sofa. She was a bit weary but then ally gently tapped her shoulder, her eyes widened and then Ally said 'we making pancakes, you have some too?' Gladys smiled and said 'I would love some ally' she smiled before running over to me 'daddy, everyone want pancakes' she said while hugging my leg. I kissed the top of her head and then sat her on the side next to me, 'you gonna help me make them?' I said she laughed and nodded.

Betty slowly headed downstairs and that's when I made introductions, she stayed next to ally and me while we made the pancakes and then we all sat down to eat. Betty was more relaxed today and that was good, over the next week we would be finding out some pretty big things and I didn't want her to worry.

At breakfast I told them all about Veronicas wedding and the date, for the first time in the last 24 hours something was making Betty smile and she was excited. These next 3 weeks were going to be busy, but I would always be there.