thirty-five

Everyone came back to the house after the trial, Jughead carried Ally upstairs as she was still sleeping but we were all celebrating. I was finally free. I had got the result I wanted 5 years ago but was too scared to say anything.

I was standing with Cheryl and Toni, I hugged Cheryl tightly and said 'thank you for everything these last few years' she smiled and said 'I would do anything for you two, you know that' I smiled and nodded. Just then Jughead came downstairs, he walked over to me and his arms came around my waist. I smiled at him while easing into his touch, I turned to face him and I said 'hi' he kissed my cheek and said 'you doing alright?' I smiled and said 'I can finally live my life in peace and not have to worry that he will find me' he smiled and said 'I'm glad, you deserve the world Betty Cooper' I smirked and kissed his lips softly. 'So do you Jughead Jones and I can't wait to start a family with you' he kissed me again and I lost myself in him until Veronica cleared her throat. I pulled away and laughed slightly, she smiled and then hugged the both of us. 'You can now go on your honeymoon' I said, she smirked at me and said 'I know, we leave tomorrow morning for 3 weeks and when I get back I really hope you haven't burnt the bar down' she pointed at Jughead and he raised his hands in surrender, 'I think I can manage the bar for 3 weeks' Veronica raised her eyebrow and then said to me 'whatever happens please watch him' I laughed and said 'don't worry V, everything will still be the same once you get back' I smiled to myself knowing that hopefully if everything has been going right we might have some news of our own to share with them. Just as she was about to walk away Veronica said 'I'm just glad we'll be back to celebrate your birthday jug so we can all do something as a family' my eyebrows raised and I heard the sigh that left Jugheads lips, I looked at him and he smiled shyly, Veronica then laughed and said 'seriously jug, how long have you been together and you still haven't told her when your birthday is?' He shrugged and then she said 'well I'm going to leave you for a minute...' Veronica walked away and then I said 'seriously jug, you didn't tell me about your birthday?! When is it?' He shrugged and then said 'it's not a big deal, I never really enjoyed or celebrated my birthday so I didn't feel the need to say anything' I raised my eyebrows and he said 'it's 3 weeks on Friday' he kissed my cheek and then walked away avoiding the conversation I wanted to have with him.

The afternoon went on, a lot of the guys headed out to the bar as they needed to work so it was just me, Jughead and Ally at the house. Jellybean had gone to help Veronica, my mum had headed home and FP and Gladys went to get food. It was the first time in a long time where it was just me and my family. Jughead was in the kitchen cooking dinner while Ally was playing with her toys in the lounge. 10 minutes later Jughead called up for dinner, ally ran straight to her chair and I walked into the kitchen and grabbed her plate. Jughead bought mine and his and we sat down as a family, I played with my food and then I put my fork down 'why didn't you want me to know about your birthday?' I heard his sigh and he said 'Betty, please. Can we just drop it?' I brushed my hand through my hair and I said 'jug, I just want to understand why you didn't want me to know?' He shrugged and then I said 'right, guess that answers my question...' I put my cutlery together and then said 'I'm not really hungry anymore' he sighed and then said 'Betty...' but I ignored him as I headed upstairs.

I was sat in Ally's room tidying away her toys when there was a knock on the door. I didn't look up as I knew it was Jughead, the door pushed open and he came and sat opposite me on the floor. I continued to tidy and then he put his hand over her clothes, I looked up at him and said 'there's nothing more to say jug' he smiled weakly and said 'I don't like my birthday because when Charlie disappeared it had just been my 18th birthday. My dad was never around for my birthdays before that and neither was my mum, but if they were they always pretended that we were the picture perfect family and I hated it. So after a while I stopped acknowledging my own birthday because I simply didn't care. Veronica was the only one who ever spent the day with me and even though I told her not to she still bought me presents and things I didn't need or want' I looked up at him and placed my hands on either side of his face 'Jughead Jones, if this family is going to work then you need to tell me things. I know you don't like your birthday but this is what makes me think you are hiding things from me. By not telling me little things about your life makes me think you don't want me to know and it hurts jug' he sighed and then said 'I know, I'm sorry. It just a brings back bad memories for me, I didn't want to keep anything from you and I'm sorry you feel this way. I love you and I love our life, I don't want anything to jeopardise it' I moved so I was now straddling his lap and I said 'I love you jug but please no more secrets, I'm done with secrets' he nodded and pulled me closer to his body. I wrapped my arms around his neck and kissed the space underneath his ear making him sigh.