Chp 1- The orphanage

The beautiful nerd....(Neddy Smith)

Neddy's POV

The orphanage.

I sat on the sofa with the other kids that spread on the floor with their legs folded and eager faces. In front of us sat a woman with a book and glasses.

She had white hair and frickles spreading on her cheeks and eyes whenever she smiled, she had pale green/blue eyes that sparkled and glossy pink lips. Her make up was literally spreading all over her face but she could care less.

She rocked on her chair as she continued an old kid story even though I was the only one who was older than the rest of the kids around but she never cared as her voice boomed in the quite warm den.

A sweet humming voice she had, as she countinusly read about Beauty and the Beast.

"And they lived happily ever after." She finished with a soft sigh as the young one's murmured with joy at how they would probably find their their charming knight. If only they knew the real World is tougher.

"So remember to always remain kind to everyone even though they are rude because you never know what benefit you might get." She adviced as the kids agreed by chattering together.

"Ok that's it... quickly now it's bed time." She shooed away the kids by standing up and placing the book on the wooden table.

I sighed before standing up in order to actually leave with the others so that I might know which bed she is referred to.

"Not you neddy Smith." She said raising her coloured skinny manicured finger to indicate that I should probably wait for her and for the clearing of the lounge so that we could talk.

I sat down watching as the kids around me leave, they didn't seem to notice me as they left in a blink of an eye. I wasn't even expecting them to since they barely know me.

"Hello there my name is Maria and I probably know you're scared about the new area but you will definitely fit in with the other kids."

I just stared at her with confusion and hurt just like I've been feeling the whole time she was telling her story.

All I remember is finding the police in my home, talking to my mother who had her eyebrows in a tight frown and her lips were in an angry line, she was a mess since her hair was in different directions and her makeup spread in her face in waves. She was found after her hangover which is why she was so untidy, she drank everynight after the death of my father.

I remember sitting there with confusion as they argued until my mother said the words that shattered my entire world.

"You can take him anyway..he is nothing but a mistake and annoyance!"

Her voice was full of pure anger and bitterness. She even refused for me to take my clothes, she even shut me off like I meant nothing even when I begged her to let me stay. I am pretty sure my eyes were still red from my crying.

The police had dragged me away and were busy whispering words of comfort that I barely picked out. I sat through some lines and finally made it here. I arrived to find many kids hovering around the place doing their chores while some played around the place. They immediately fed me and looked for some clothes.

The orphanage had many rooms but the largest one was the den. The orphanage had one bathroom that had two large stalls that were separated into two..for male and female.

The kitchen were filled with volunteers that stirred the pots and cleaned the dishes. The bedrooms had tiny cloth beds made and were separated into two just like the bathrooms.