LOVE // Jesse St James

"Oh come on. No one has to know!" Says Jesse, sipping on his latte.

You were family friends... and show choir enemies... and secret best friends... and you may have been crushing on him for about six months now, and you were staying at your parents' beach house for the summer and he was suggesting that you had a 'fling'.

"Jesse, you're part of Vocal Adrenaline, our biggest competition for regionals. I can't fraternise with the enemy." 

"Oh screw that, (Y/N), my life is more than show choir, it shouldn't determine everything that I do."

You laugh a little as he says that, "Since when?" 

"Look, (Y/N), we may be 'competition' but we're both seniors. Graduation is just around the corner, it doesn't have to matter. It's be fun."

You wanted to tell him the real reason why you couldn't have a summer with him - you knew your feelings would get in the way - but you didn't want to tell him that, especially not with so long left on the holiday. 

"I can't Jesse." You say, standing up and walking back inside from the beach house balcony. 

_____

Later that night you were watching a movie on the small TV in your room, when you heard a knock on the door. 

"Who is it?" You ask, turning down the TV.

"It's Jesse." He says.

"Come in." You say, pausing the movie.

Jesse walks in, and sits down at the end of your bed.

"I'm sorry about before." He says, looking down. 

"It's fine Jesse, you don't need to apologise. If it wasn't for the whole 'competitors' thing, I'd be down." 

It's silent for a second. 

"Are you sure that's all it is?" He asks. "Because I'm not convinced." 

"Yes. I'm sure." You say, defensively.

"(Y/N), the whole conversation i could see it on your face that there was something more to it. You are very readable."

"Jesse, there is nothing else to it." 

Jesse seems to be frustrated at how defensive you're being.

"Is it me?-" He asks.

"No."

"-Because I think it is. The last six months you've been acting super weird around me and I thought maybe I was just imagining it but this only seems to confirm my theory."

"Oh my gosh, Jesse, will you just drop it okay? I'm sorry, that i've been acting weird, and I'm sorry that I said no to this while fling idea, but the truth is, I can't have a fling with you because my feelings will no doubt get in the way."

"What does that even mean?" He replies, raising his voice and matching your energy.

"It means, that I can't have a fling with you because I am already flipping in love with you, and no matter how hard I try, I know my heart will invest too much, and I will end up feeling hurt-" 

Before you could finish having a go at him, you're interrupted by Jesse kissing you passionately.

"What was that?" You ask, as you pull away.

"(Y/N" Jesse says, "The truth is. i wanted to have this fling with you in hope that I could make you catch feelings for me, because I... I love you."

_______

This didn't turn out like I planned it but oh well.

Much Love,

Will.