Prom? // M. Chang Jnr

As soon as the prom committee announced the event, every girl in school started to go crazy. Everyone was worried about who was going to ask them, and what they were going to wear and what car they would be arriving in, and there were a select few, running for prom queen, like your friends Quinn and Santana, who were going even crazier. Not you though. As far as you were concerned, prom was just another day, and it wasn't worth paying a large amount of money for a dress and shoes, especially without anyone to go with. All of your friends told you that you were crazy for wanting to skip senior prom, but you were insistent that you didn't want to go.

Okay, maybe that wasn't entirely true. You did want to go, and you knew exactly who you wanted to go with, but you knew that there was no way he was going to ask you. You and your friend Mike had been close since middle school, and over the years your feelings had slowly crossed over from friend to crush territory. You wanted him to ask you more than anything, but he had been talking about this girl that he liked for ages, so it definitely wasn't going to happen.

"You can't not go to your senior prom!" Quinn exclaims, as she pulls her wheelchair next to you in the cafeteria. "It only happens once."

"Quinn, I don't want to go." You sigh, this being the fourth time you had had this conversation this week. "Can't you just let it go."

"(Y/N)," She says, turn to face you. "We have been friends since the fifth grade. I know you. Of course, you want to go. Now can you just tell me why you've decided not to go?"

You look at Quinn, who has her hands clasped as if she is begging to know, and sigh again.

"Fine!" You throw your hands up in defeat. "I do want to go, but I don't want to go alone, or with just anyone, but I know the person I want to go with definitely isn't going to ask me."

Quinn smiles, "I knew you wanted to go."

"Yeah well." You shrug. "It's not happening though."

"(Y/N), it is our senior prom, and I want to hang out with you. I'm sort of going with Joe but it's not serious or anything, we can hang out."

"Look Quinn, I appreciate it but if I'm being honest, if I can't go with him, I don't want to go at all."

Later that day in glee club, Mr Schue announces that the New Directions had been asked to perform at prom again this year and everyone erupts into applause, except you.

"Is there a problem (Y/N)?" Mr Schuester asks as the clapping stops.

"N-No, I'm just not going." You say, suddenly becoming emotional about it, which was weird because you had been able to maintain composure all week and all of sudden it had hit you.

"I'm sorry." You sniffle before picking up your bag and walking out of the choir room, walking straight to the bleachers to sit and breathe.

After only a few moments of sitting on the bleachers, wiping away tears, you hear a voice. You look up and it's your best friend Mike. He comes over, sit next to you, and puts his arm around you.

"What up?" He asks, squeezing your shoulder.

"It's nothing." You whisper, looking down at the ground.

"Obviously it's not nothing." Mike sighs. "You wouldn't just cry for no reason."

"Well I don't know what to tell you." You spit, suddenly getting defensive.

"I'm sorry." You sigh almost immediately. "I shouldn't snap at you. You're just trying to help."

"Yeah." Mike chuckles, "I am just trying to help, because I don't like seeing my best friend upset. However, there is very little I can do if you don't tell me what's up."

"I just can't tell you." You whisper.

"Is it about prom?" Mike asks a moment later.

"I don't know." You sigh – for what feels like the zillionth time.

"I'll take that a yes." He chuckles. "Why aren't you going? It's our senior prom, it's one of our last chances to make high school memories."

"I just don't want to." You say.

"I know that's not true." Mike laughs immediately. "You and Quinn had been talking about prom for months. I know you want to go."

"Alright fine!" You exclaim, standing up. "It is about prom, and I do want to go. But I don't want to go on my own and I don't want to go with just anybody. I know the person I want to ask me likes someone else, so therefore won't ask me. So, I'm just not going."

Mikes face drops for a second, but then it suddenly picks up again as you turn to walk away.

"Who do you want to ask you?" He asks, quietly.

You contemplate your next move, but you know you can't lie to Mike about this. "You Mike."

_____

The next day at school, you did everything that you could to avoid Mike. He had messaged you a bunch of times and tried to call you, but as much as you weren't mad at him, and you didn't want him to think that, you weren't ready to get your heart broken and your best friendship possibly ruined. That was until you found him standing in front of your locker, knowing that you couldn't avoid it.

"Hey." You say, softly as you get to your locker.

"Hey." Mike smiles. "I've been looking for you all day but every time I saw you, you disappeared."

"Sorry." You sigh, a little embarrassed. "I just felt a bit awkward after yesterday."

Mike nods, "Now about that-"

"Look Mike, I really don't think I can handle getting my heart broken today. I know you don't want to go to prom with me, and that's okay but I know it's going to hurt." You say, squeezing your eyes shut and trying your hardest not to cry.

"That's actually what I wanted to talk about, but I need you to let me finish." He says.

You take a deep breath and open your eyes and look at Mike, who is reaching into his backpack.

"I've got something for you." He says, pulling out a little box that you instantly recognise as from your favourite donut place across town. He passes it to you, but you hesitate to open it. Was he seriously going to reject you via donut?

"Open it." He says, nudging you. "Please."

You take another deep breath before slowly opening the box. Inside is your favourite donut, and it immediately brings a smile to your face, and all of a sudden you feel a little less scared.

"Look inside the lid of the box." Mike says, sounding impatient.

"Okay." You chuckle.

Inside the lid of the box was a message written in sharpie that read:

'I 'donut' want to go prom without you.'

"I-I don't understand?" you stutter. "What about that girl that you told me like? Why wouldn't you ask her?"

"Look, (Y/N)," Mike sighs. "The truth is, when I was talking about this girl that I like, I was talking about you. I just didn't think you felt the same, so I covered it up. I'm sorry."

"That's crazy." You say, your head spinning a little.

"I know, but please believe me when I say that I like you so much, and I don't want to go to Prom with anyone else but you."

"O-Okay." You stutter, suddenly grinning from ear to ear.

"As okay, you'll go to prom with me?" He asks, cheerfully.

"Yes, Mike Chang, I will definitely go to prom with you."

__________

Hey guys,

Thank you all for being so active and engaging in each chapter. I really appreciate it and it always motivates me to write. I am slowly but surely getting through my list that I've got going but feel free to send other requests and ideas through to add to it.

Also, this is only part 1 of a 2-part series.

Much love,

Will xo