1. The Truth about Prophecies

"astra inclinant, sed non obligant." 
(the stars incline us, they do not bind us.)

Thethia: Temple of Iris

Queen of Thethia, Nadia 

"King of Thethia, Wynston Evarix. (Queen of Thethia, Nadia Veilstein.) We have arrived to give audience to the prophecy."

"Your Majesties." The Temple Keeper bowed respectfully before guiding them down the sufficiently-lit pillared alley towards the heart of the temple where a perfectly-sculpted figure of Goddess Iris stood on the central altar. Diffused light from an opening of the ceiling above shone on the marbled gold statue, casting a soft white halo which beamed onto the engraved magic circle on the stone ground where she and the King would stand.

Moving down the passage, Nadia wondered if this quiet air tinctured with the scent of incense, candles and musty prayer books had also held the promise of an optimistic future in favour of her children. The rhythmic ring of soft chimes reflected her breath and heartbeat. Synchronising with the King's movement, she lowered herself on both knees in front of the Goddess and clasped her hands together. Her appearance and composure resembled calmness and she managed to hold herself with equanimity even when a riot of different emotions stirred within her. 

In Thethia, prophecies were made for every child born to the Royal. It read the fates of the newborns and a name would be gifted to welcome the new royal member. And despite it being a simple ceremony, it was an important tradition that all loyal subjects serving the Kingdom would anticipate an answer from. They await to hear the future of Thethia and her next-in-line for the throne.  

A Temple Keeper signalled for both of them to close their eyes and they complied. Nadia lowered her head in silence before the prayers sounded. Low hums filled the air as the Temple Keepers sang verses after verses. Nadia clenched her hands tighter together, praying sincerely that the prophecy would mean well for her children. When the song finally ended, she peeled open her eyes to see that the Priest had taken over the ceremony. Undoing the knot, he rolled open the scroll and held it in front of him. In a clear voice, he delivered the prophecy. 

"In the coming spring, the Kingdom of Thethia will be blessed with a powerful soul. Adored by the Goddess herself, the child will bear the mark of blessing and bring prosperity to the Kingdom. For her, she shall be named Elizabeth." The Priest closed the scroll and Nadia was taken by surprise. 

"Wait," she tensed. "What about the other child?" 

"The existence of the other overpowers the balance of the Kingdom. With that, she shall not be known and never be named," The Priest replied simply.

"How dare you!" Nadia pushed herself off the grounds, raising in agitation. 

"My Queen," The King warned in a low voice, before continuing, "We humbly accept the prophecy. May Her Divinity grant blessings and glory upon the Kingdom of Thethia."