40. Stay with Me

Four days later

Four days later. 
Iftia: Lyx Palace, Elianna's Bedchamber

Rowan

"When will she wake up?" Rowan asked, holding Elianna's hand with one hand and sweeping wisps of hair away from her face with the other hand. Days had passed since she lost consciousness and he felt the crack in his heart to see her complexion pale and her breathing shallow and faint. 

"Your Highness, I apologise for not having an answer for that. Lady Elianna exhausted her gift and completely drained her energy. For her to be still alive, it's already a miracle," Professor Hamley sighed. "I will check on her again tomorrow." 

"Thank you, Professor Hamley," Rowan gave a slight nod to the old man as he packed everything back into his bag.

"It is my honour. Besides, Lady Elianna is one of my favourite students. I would give in my best to help her," Professor Hamley strapped his medical bag over his shoulder and left the bedchamber.

Rowan held onto her hand and rested his forehead on it. Please wake up, love. I missed you.

Elianna

"Rowan, you should rest." 

Amidst the heaviness she felt in her head, she heard a familiar voice as she scrunched her eyes before fluttering them open. Her vision blurred and the bright light from the room shone uncomfortably, blinding her. She blinked several times, attempting to sharpen her vision and adjust to the light. A shadow hovered above her and she still struggled to see clearly. 

"Eli?" 

Rowan's face appeared right in front of her. His blue eyes dulled into a deeper shade of cerulean as they stared right into hers.

He really should rest. 

Sunken eyes and the dark crescents underneath it was proof of his lack of rest. She wanted to say something but her heart was aching badly at the sight of his tiredness. Slowly, she raised her hand to cup his cheeks, her fingers traced along the short stubble that grew along his jaw. It all felt like a dream to see him in front of her. 

There was a small pause between them before Rowan leaned down, holding her tightly against him. She looked ahead and saw Ilias smiling at her with great relieve before he walked out of her room and gave them the time to be alone. She folded her arms over his shoulders and he buried his head into the crook of her neck as he inhaled deeply. Even when he didn't speak a single word, she was sure that he had a lot in his mind. 

Unable to deny, she was enjoying being this close to him. His stubble brushed against her neck and a breathless laugh bubbled up at the ticklish feeling. Moving her hand to the back of his head, she tangled her fingers within the short strands of his dark hair. She adjusted herself and pulled him close to her, making sure that she closed up any possible space between them. Finally, she felt him relax in her hold and he placed his entire body weight on her. Instead of the crushing feeling of a heavyweight, the way he leaned into her was unexpectedly satisfying as it reminded her that whatever that was happening was real.