37. Distance

Iftia: Lyx Palace, Dining Hall

Elianna

Since that night which he pushed her out of the study, she never saw Rowan again. Not only had he stopped dining with everyone, but he also spent most of his time away from Lyx. There were many times when she decided to visit him to apologise, his knights would tell her that he wasn't available or out of Lyx. This morning was no different, she dined with the knights in the absence of him. 

"Ilias, is Rowan out of Lyx today too?" she asked, but her gaze stayed on her plate. She held onto the fork and lightly tossed her food around, with no intention to eat.

"Elianna, Rowan had ordered for his schedule to be kept hidden," Ilias sighed. "I'm sorry I won't be able to tell you anything."

"I'm sorry," she murmured, disappointment heavy in her tone. "I wasn't trying to put you in a difficult position."

"We all understand." It was Kaylon who comforted her.

She left the dining hall without taking a single bite of her breakfast. It was always cold in Iftia, but Lyx had always been filled with his warmth within the dark stone walls. Now that there wasn't a single trace of him in the entire palace, it felt even colder than the raging snowstorm outside. Rowan simply disappeared as though he had never existed. 

Elianna stayed in the medical office for the rest of the morning, tending to a few soldiers for the injuries they sustained during their training. Some stayed a little longer to have a casual chat with her when they sensed that she wasn't quite herself today. She was happy to have their company, at least it took her mind off everything that was bothering her and when she had no one to attend to in the noon, she felt unusually restless and she paced back and forth her office. All of a sudden, the four walls surrounding her office made her felt ever so claustrophobic. 

Frustrated by how suffocating her office felt, she left her office for the Royal Medical Department. Perhaps talking to Professor Hamley would help her take some things off her mind. 

━━━━━━━━━━

Iftia: Royal Medical Department

Elianna

Nothing really went well on bad days. 

The moment she entered through the main entrance, Collin, the medical administrator told her that Professor Hamley was out of his office today. Sighing, she walked down the hallway and went to the library to grab some books and kill some time over there. 

Elianna combed through the bookshelves, selecting some interesting reads for herself.  When she approached the bookshelves near the corner of the library, she overheard two librarians whispering.