46. The Border

Iftia: Iftia-Rivia Border

Elianna

They finally arrived at the border after four days of arduous travelling.

It was as per Tristan's report. The death toll had been increasing and there was widespread paranoia. When they requested to be shown around, the villagers refused, they did not want to travel out of their houses for the fear of contracting the weird disease.

Elianna followed Professor Hamley as they arrived at the bridge separating Iftia and Rivia with Matthias and his knights. A messenger from Rivia greeted them and signalled for Matthias and his knights to follow him to further discuss about the situation. Professor Hamley then hurried her back to Iftia grounds to head towards the designated quarantine area.

"Professor Hamley, I'll be stopping by the local hospital for a moment," she pointed towards the medical facility that was not far away from the quarantine area.

"We'll follow you," Kaylon said, pointing towards himself and Tristan

"Please go ahead," Professor Hamley nodded in approval and they separated ways at the next intersection.

The hospital was in a devastated state. Even through their face covers, the hospital reeked of waste and decay. The hospital beds were filled with dead and decomposing patients. Doctors and nurses must have abandoned their duties and fled from the hospitals.

"Shit," Tristan remarked.

"Literally," Kaylon added.

This is worse than I thought. Elianna immediately moved Tristan and Kaylon out of the hospital. She handed both of them a vial and pushed it near their mouths, urging them to drink it.

"Elianna, what's this?" Tristan asked.

"It's a vial I made to grant immunity to most sickness. I'm not really sure what's going on but I need you guys to be safe," she frowned because she started to doubt if she'll be of any help to the people here.

"Don't just give us, have one for yourself," Kaylon attempted to return the glass bottle back to her but she immediately reached out to stop him from giving it back.

"Please drink it, Kaylon. I made enough for everyone," she made sure they drank it before they made their way back into the hospital. With the help of Tristan and Kaylon, they flipped over one of the corpses as she did an initial autopsy on the patient.

Severe dehydration and malnourishment, with signs of vomiting and diarrhoea. When she looked around, the signs were consistent for almost every patient and it made her wonder about the situation because none of them showed any indication of an infectious disease. Eventually, they left the hospital because the stench was unbearable. She decided to head over to meet with Professor Hamley and other medical officials.