44. Rivian Crisis

Iftia: Lyx Palace, Rowan's Bedchamber

Rowan •

Upon waking, his eyes flew open as he jackknifed upwards. Raking his fingers through his hair, he scanned his surroundings. Moonlight streamed in from the window, flowing over the plush armchairs in the sitting area and everything in the room looked familiar. He recognised this as his own bedchamber and his eyes continued to roam but stopped when he spotted a lady right beside his large bed. 

No matter how much they looked alike, he would never mistake one for the other. He knew that the one with him now was Elianna. 

She must've pulled one of the armchairs from the sitting area to the side of his bed. Her legs were tucked close to her chest, all curled up and sleeping soundly. A soft chuckle bubbled out of him as he pulled the blankets aside and approached her slowly. His fingers reached out to tuck away loose wavy strands that had fallen and covered her face. He was careful not to wake her up but her eyebrows furrowed slightly and her eyes fluttered open, revealing the pair of beautiful amber eyes beneath her eyelids.

"Did I wake you?" he asked, his voice deep and gentle.

"You're awake," her said quietly, raising her hands to rub the remainders of sleep away from her eyes.

"Yes, love," he smiled. "Thank you for taking care of me."

"I'm glad you're awake. I missed you," she rasped out in a soft, sleepy voice.

He was sure that his heart tripped up in his chest and his mind refused to think because a sudden rashness caused him to circle an arm towards the small of her back, pulling her to face him. They were looking at each other eye to eye, their faces so close to each other that the thin layer of air between them was not enough for both to breathe, so they held onto their breaths. Her eyes widened in surprise, shining splendidly like citrines.

"Can I?" he whispered into the space between their mouths, breaking the silence. She gasped a little but closed her eyes as a sign of approval.

He carefully pressed his lips to hers. His hand lifted from her shoulder and curled around the back of her neck. She tasted so sweet that he nearly threw his self-control out of the window and take all of her in right at this instance. But he didn't. For now, he was all satisfied with being able to kiss her.

He was slow and careful with his advances, making gentle passes on her lips. From his hold, he felt her trembling as her fingers held onto his shoulder, bunching the soft cotton of his tunic. He left her lips for a moment to look at her. Her face was flushed in a pretty shade of pink and there was a breathless quality in her soft pants that made his body heat up to a dangerous level.

"Rowan..." she whispered against his mouth. The moment his name rolled off her tongue, a part of him snapped. He tightened the hand on the back of her neck to pull her even closer to him. His other hand roamed along her back, forcing a soft moan out of her. Her parting lips was an opportunity that he seized to deepen their kiss and the first touch of his tongue against hers was like striking a match to gasoline. He held her by the waist and pushed her down to the bed, never once breaking the dance of their tongues.