48. Part of the Plan

Iftia: Iftia-Riva Border, Meeting Room

• Rowan •

"Your Highness, I suspect that this water poisoning incident is not as simple," Tristan claimed, facing Rowan.

He also sensed something amiss about the situation. Iftia and Rivia had been in a good relationship since a long time ago. This incident was obviously a plot to stir tension between the two kingdoms.

"Brother," Matthias called out and Rowan rasied his head to looked at him.

Matthias shifted uncomfortably in his seat but steadied himself before continuing, "I would like to speak to you alone."

Kaylon was the first to stand up from his seat, casting a wary look towards Matthias. On the other hand, Matthias' knights also stood in defense, but their expressions were washed over by confusion.

Rowan raised a brow, not expecting that Matthias would suggest talking to him alone. He had his suspicions placed on the Queen but he wouldn't put too much hopes on getting any information from Matthias. Sighing, he lifted his hand to signal for his knights to leave the room. Alec shook his head, but Rowan remained indifferent. Following his gesture, Matthias also signalled for his knights to retreat.

Then, everyone left the room, leaving the two of them alone. Rowan stared at him intensely, awaiting whatever that was going to spill from Matthias.

• Matthias •

I wished I could turn into Elianna right now, so that he would stop staring at me like that. Matthias mentally cursed at Rowan repeatedly before he cleared his throat and sat up straight, feigning courage.

"What is it that you would like to say?" The silence hung for too long and Rowan was growing impatient.

"I hadn't talk to you in nine years," Matthias said.

"Matthias." His brother pinched the centre of his brow in annoyance, "I didn't chase the entire room of people out for you to say that."

"I know you hate me," Matthias continued.

"I don't—" Rowan wanted to deny but there was guilt in his tone.

But before Rowan could explain himself, Matthias interrupted, "But I had to tell you this because I care about you, Brother."

Rowan's head shot up once again and looked towards Matthias. His eyes were wide with shock but the eye contact was brief because Matthias couldn't bear to spill the truth while looking straight into his brother's eyes. Those startling blue eyes would threatened to swallow him whole because there was too many things that his mother had done wrong to him.

"This whole thing was plotted between the King of Thethia, Father and Mother," Matthias swallowed hard before he continued, "Don't you find it too timely that Princess Elizabeth and the Royal Secretariat of Thethia arrive in Iftia and all of the sudden there was this 'infectious' disease?"