19. First Meeting, Ten Years Later

10 years later

10 years later.
Iftia: Lyx Palace, Study

• Rowan•

"Your Highness, that's too dangerous!" his First Knight, Ilias, exclaimed. For a person who always kept his calm, Rowan seemed to have crossed the line this time. 

"I know what I am doing," Rowan dismissed him nonchalantly.

Rowan knew about the danger of this mission, but he could not bring his knights along. This was going to be a trap set by the Queen. She wanted them all dead and he needed to go by himself. He was sure that he would survive, but if he were to bring his knights along. The chances that they would make it out alive could be slim. He also wanted to use this chance to find out about the oddities that had been happening between Thethia and Iftia.

"Seriously, Ro! Going Thethia alone without any back-up?" Another of his knight, Alec, called out in frustration.

Rowan shot him a look. He understood why everyone was against his idea, but he couldn't risk bringing harm to the people around him. In a firm voice, he concluded, "No more arguments. Now, all of you get out of my study and let me have some peace and quiet." 

"Rowan—" 

"Ilias, please," he cut him in a snap. 

━━━━━━━━━━

2 weeks later.
Thethia: Mt. Plytois, In the Woods 

• Rowan •

Damn it, they are still chasing.

The thundering of hooves split the silence of the woods, Rowan huffed as he kept his gaze forward, trying to escape from his chasers. They had been running for long hours, the horse beneath him felt like it was going to collapse at any given point.

Finally, the horse caved in and tripped over. Rowan rolled to the side as he fell off the horse and landed smoothly on the ground. Looking at his horse, he felt terribly sorry for it, but he couldn't help it in his current circumstance. Tersely, he darted into the trees and threaded through the woods stealthily. With his sharp senses, he could hear his chasers curse as they jumped off their horses and followed right behind. 

Persistent rats. Rowan cursed under his breath as he continued to run. He could've stayed and fight but there were too many of them. At the very least, he had to lure them to an open space because there were too many blind spots with all the trees around.

Suddenly, an arrow came out of nowhere and pierced through his right arm. Blood drained over his shirt as warm liquid trickled down his arm. Damn it. He stopped where he was, and his chasers caught up immediately.

"Nowhere to run now, Prince," one of them mocked. 

Rowan frowned in annoyance and drew his sword. Without delay, his chasers charged towards him armed with their swords. Rowan wasn't the hesitant type either. Impelling forward, he slashed with pure force and magic.