23. A Vow of Vengeance

Thethia: Mt

Thethia: Mt. Plytois, House in the Mountain

Rowan

"You're almost healed," Elianna said while checking on his injuries.

In return, Rowan gave a slight nod and knew that he couldn't stay here any longer than he already did. His knights in Iftia were anxious about his conditions even though he sent a message to them right after he regained consciousness from the assassination attempt. He should've sent another message to inform them of his wellbeing but the desire to stay here a little longer with her stopped him.

It was the truth that Rowan couldn't forget about her since their first encounter, ten years ago. Since then, whenever he visited Thethia, he would go to the place where they first met. Though she never appeared again and when he asked the guards about her, none of them could tell him anything. She vanished from the entire Royal Grounds of Thethia as though she never existed.

Who knew that he would wake up in this house that was situated deep within the remote mountain, to find her staring towards him with those beautiful eyes again? There wouldn't be an answer to his question but he could only ask himself. What are the chances that you will meet someone you really missed again?

While he was lost in his own thoughts, Elianna shifted from beside him and spoke quietly, "Rowan, I'll be out with Thunder tonight too."

Perhaps it was the awareness that their days together would come to an end soon that he found it difficult to say anything to her without a tinge of sadness in his voice, "Please be safe, love."

Elianna was sensitive to emotions but he was also good at concealing his own. Whenever she was about to pick up any trace of his downheartedness, he would erase them. Although Rowan had never attempted to hide his affections for her, he didn't want her to feel anything unhappy. He noticed her observing him carefully and only let him off when she couldn't find anything odd about him. Still wary, she said in a slightly unsure tone, "I'm leaving now. Goodnight, Rowan."

Holding her hand to his lips, he pecked a kiss on the back of her fingers and whispered, "Goodnight, Eli."

Rowan watched as she stood and left the room, not forgetting to close the door behind her. He heard the almost muted sound of the main door closing and knew that she had left for the woods with Thunder.

After pacing around the house for quite a while, he decided that sleep wasn't going to find him easily tonight. It could be because of all the fretful thoughts that kept him wide awake or the lack of her bitter concoction to knock him unconscious. Either way, the inability to fall asleep was bothering him.