16. The House in the Mountains

Thethia: ___

Thethia: ___

• Elianna •

Elianna didn't know how long she had been crying for. Her head hurts and her stomach growled. 

Placing her hands to the ground, she forced herself to stand. Her legs felt weak and numb after sitting on the ground for too long. A sudden thought flashed through her head. I don't want to die here. The dead silence and darkness surrounding them felt so intimidating. To think that she used to be so well-acquainted with such an environment because of all the training with Jason in the woods behind Heather Palace, at this moment she truly felt lost and unsure where to go. 

From her side, Thunder nudged her with his head. She turned and watched as he slunk towards a direction, almost becoming one with the shadows. Observing while still staying grounded at where she stood, she wondered what he was trying to do. However, Thunder seemed to notice that she wasn't following it so he turned his head around and gave her a slight nod, gesturing for her to follow behind. 

That nod. That was the last memory Elianna had of Jason. He also nodded at her in the exact same manner. An unexpected wave of sadness crashed into her but she bit back on those tears and trailed towards Thunder, letting it take her to wherever it planned to go. 

They threaded through the woods together, a terrain that she was once so familiar with. It was fortunate that daylight soon arrived and light permeated through the trees, making the trials more visible. They carefully walked along rocky paths, climbed up steep uphill and crawled through low branches. Despite all the pain and sores that she felt, she continued to follow Thunder, determined to find shelter before the next sunset. Elianna knew that they got lucky yesterday because they didn't know what lurked in the woods and with her blood-soaked dress, she could've attracted beasts that could have brought harm to them. Although Thunder was strong and fierce, the child wanted to protect him with all her might because he was all that she was left with now. 

After an entire day of hiking uphill, they arrived at a house. It looked simple and well-maintained. Feeling odd, she wondered why there's such a house in the middle of the mountain.  

Instincts kicked up and she approached the house slowly. Lifting her feet and lightening her steps, she moved without a sound as she scanned the surrounding for any signs indicating the presence of another person. Yet, it seemed vacant. While she hesitated to approach the house, Thunder had already jumped out of the bushes and jumped towards the house. 

"Thunder!" Elianna frowned, frantically signalling for him to take cover.

Thunder turned around and hissed at her loudly. Elianna knew Thunder too well to know that the arrogant big cat was trying to say, follow up idiot. She tutted at Thunder as she trudged through the thick bushes. They stood at the front door of the house and to her surprise, it was unlocked. The second she pushed the door open, Thunder stalked past her and went for the couch. 

"Seriously!" she breathed and Thunder pretended not to hear her while licking his paw. Elianna had a strong urge to strangle this conceited cat.

There was a feeling of familiarity in this house that was bringing her to a near cry. When she walked past the many bookcases, the books carried a unique scent that belonged to the books in her palace. Elianna noticed a door beside the bookcases and she pushed past the door, intruding into the space. There wasn't anyone inside and spotting a wardrobe, she quickly removed her blood-stained dress and pulled it opened. It took her a long while to understand that this house was made for her because everything within it belonged to her and even the clothes that hanged inside were perfect to her size. Hastily pulling a plain white dress over her she ran out of the room to face Thunder. 

"You knew about this house?" she asked. 

Thunder turned his head to the side, then lowered it. 

Her mouth dropped in disbelief. "How?"

Thunder hopped down the couch and went to one of the bookcases. He glanced up, seemingly to direct her attention to something on the shelves. Following Thunder's gaze, Elianna spotted a book that had a sparkle of magic trace on it. She ran to grab a stool and climbed up to reach for it. She wanted to flip it open but realise that it was sealed with magic. 

Then, she remembered when Jason once taught her about breaking seals, and he tested her several times after by sealing her things to ensure that she remembered how to break magic seals. She recalled how annoyed she was when he sealed almost everything in her way, and she had to unseal all of them to get through the day.

Chanting a string of Thethiac, the seal was lifted. She flipped open a book and saw a series of scribble which handwriting she was so familiar with. Thunder tapped on the bottom cover of the book and she turned the book around and opened the back. The last page was a letter addressed to her, and every word within the letter was the familiar handwriting that already brought tears to her eyes.

[Dear Elianna, 

By the time you read this, it meant that none of us was by your side. I knew that everything that happened must've been scary, but I'm glad you were able to make it here. With that, I hope that you still have Thunder beside you. Please take care of my boy in my place. 

As you can see, this is a house prepared for you and it should've everything you need. The herbs are in the kitchen with some concoctions already prepared for when you fall sick. Remember that thick clothes are stashed at the bottom of the wardrobe when winter comes. These books were mine, all that I'd ever want to share with you. 

I just want to let you know that, Elianna, you truly made me proud. I'm so glad to be your mentor and all of us can't say how honoured we felt to be able to watch you grow up. As your mentor, these are all that I could teach you. The rest, as I'd always like to tell you, you will learn when you live through them. Nothing would be a better lesson than life itself. 

Please live on and stay strong. I hope one day you will forgive us for being so harsh and cruel to you. We did all these because we felt that you deserved more. You deserve more than what Heather Palace can offer you. You deserve more than the made-up prophecy the King made. We want the best for you.

Eli, we love you. Always do, and always will.

-Your Mentor, Jason]

By the time Elianna reached the last word, she was already a sobbing mess. Her small hands trembled as she clutched on the book with whatever strength that was left in her. When her legs gave out, she pounded on the wooden floor and pain shot up from her knees, forcing a wince through clenched teeth. Each breath she took sent a stinging pain right through her chest and her throat held back something between a sob and a scream. 

She didn't know what happened to everyone, but a wave of sadness overwhelmed her and she was already grieving. 

※