47. Fever

Iftia: Iftia-Rivia Border

• Matthias •

Thankfully, with the help of Professor Hamley and Elianna, the case at the borders was solved.

That night, Matthias commanded his people to check on the river, but they reported back saying that the whole river was purified and its water was even cleaner than it was before. He stared in disbelief at the guard who reported it but they brought a sample back and he inspected on it.

Who had so much power to do this?

He held onto his assumptions as he left his tent and went towards Elianna's. The moment he entered, Thunder gave him a low growl. The panther curled himself around her as though trying to protect her from any incoming visitor. On the other hand, she leaned her small body against his body, trembling as she flinched in her sleep. He tried to take a step closer but Thunder bared his teeth. Surprised, Matthias raised both of his arms to his side, indicating that he meant no harm. He wasn't sure if the panther would understand him but he tried, "What happened to her?" 

Thunder seemed to understand what he meant because he glanced down and purred pitifully while rubbing his nose against the top of her head. Matthias decided to take another step closer and the panther allowed him to. He remained careful as he placed a hand on her forehead and realised that she was running a high fever. This proven his assumptions right and he knew that she was the one who purified the entire river. Matthias exhaled, "Are you an idiot? Who exhausts their magic energy like that?" 

As much as he wanted to scold her for being foolish and for draining herself to purify the entire river, he knew that if it wasn't for her, it would've probably taken an entire month for everyone to work on the process. Yet, with this small body of hers, it was incredible that she only took a mere night.

Just how strong is she?

He left the tent to grab more blankets to cover her up. He also fetched a basin of water and dampened the towel to dab on her forehead. She whimpered and a frown appeared in her face. Her fingers reached for the collar of her clothes as she tugged on it uncomfortably. Then, he realised that her clothes were soaked with sweat and they clung to her skin. There were no other females on this trip and he deliberated if he should help her change. The thought made him flush bright red but saving her would be the priority. Right?

Matthias squeezed his eyes shut and reached for the hem of her blouse. He was about to pull it up when he heard a loud swish and cold wind from outside rushed into the tent.

"What do you think you are doing?" The voice was ice cold and Matthias felt it pierce down his entire spine. He didn't even have to open his eyes to know that this voice belonged to his brother.

"G-great to see you, B-brother," Matthias stammered, choking out an awkward laugh.

"Don't make me repeat myself," Rowan threatened.