3. Her Fate

Thethia: Royal Palace, Queen's Bedchamber

King of Thethia, Wynston 

"How's the Queen doing?" Wynston asked.

"Your Majesty, Her Majesty had not spoken a single word since she regained consciousness. Her meals were also left almost untouched," The royal doctor shook his head dejectedly. 

"Leave," he exhaled, raising his hand to dismiss everyone in the room. The royal doctor bowed and took his leave together with several other maidservants, leaving him alone with his wife. 

He walked into the bedchamber and noticed that she wasn't lying in her bed. Instead, she sat in one of the plush armchairs facing the window with a pillow in her arms. Her amber eyes stared lifelessly at the window as her body rocked back and forth repeatedly. He wasn't sure what went through her mind at the moment, but since that time, he knew that he had lost her entirely. The royal doctors said that it was an irreversible illness of her heart and mind, there was no chance of her returning into the way she was unless she could reconcile with her own pain.

He watched as she smoothed her hand over the pillow, cradling the inanimate object in a manner similar to how she would hold a baby in her arms. He vexed at the sight but he didn't dare to let her hold Elizabeth again because the child was too frail. The previous time, Nadia held her too protectively and tightly that the child almost died in her arms. His wife was no longer stable enough to care about her child and he knew that separating them only worsened her health. Even so, he couldn't risk having Elizabeth near her unless the child was fully recovered. Weighing his priorities, he couldn't help but sacrifice his wife for the greater good.

In the past, he used to worry that they would be childless and the Kingdom would be without an heir. Yet, when the blessings finally arrived, he wanted to ensure that he could have a strong heir so that Thethia could thrive. After all, he did everything for the Kingdom. Nadia didn't understand his intentions and he never expected her to. All he wanted was her trust in him and have faith in his quest to build a formidable Kingdom that would reign the realm in the years. Looking at her now, he could only exhale in exasperation and unsure what to make of the person she had become.

Wynston made his way towards the armchair that she sat on and called her softly, "Nadia."

She didn't respond, still staring blankly at the window. He wasn't sure if she hadn't heard him or refused to hear him. Sighing, he reached to hold her hand and the sudden touch startled her. Nadia immediately retracted her hand and held tightly onto the pillow in her arms. She became screaming frantically, "Nobody hurts my Eli! Nobody will hurt her!"

"Nadia."

When his wife treated him as such, it pained him. He had never imagined that one day he would stand in such a difficult position. Nadia had grown to be so cautious of him and it was as though they had gone back to those days when she first arrived at the Royal Palace. He remembered the amount of effort it took to bring her to like him then. Seeing them now, it felt like they went straight back to square one. Only that, any effort wouldn't be enough to bring his wife back to how she used to be.