26. Royal Doctor

Iftia: Lyx Palace, Elianna's Bedchamber

Rowan

I didn't expect this.

Rowan stood at the door staring at Elianna who just came out of the bath wrapped in a towel. Long strands of her brown hair were wet and stuck against her pale skin while droplets of water glided down smoothly and dripped on the carpeted floor beneath her. She simply stood rooted to the ground with hands clutching tightly on the towel, unmoving. He tried to look away but his eyes caught the flower mark on her chest and curiosity piqued. Why does she have a mark of resurrection?

"What are you staring at?!" 

Her voice jarred him out of his paralysed state as he realised that Elianna had followed his gaze and found out that he was staring at her chest. Her face flushed in bright red as she glared at him, seemingly unsure whether to be mad at him. Rowan quickly directed his eyes to stare at hers as he smirked. 

"Not bad," He teased.

Elianna was probably too fazed to argue back and she held onto the towel that was covering herself with all her might before stomping into the dressing room and shut the door with a loud slam. Her panic caused him to laugh, but he was sure that he had gone overboard with teasing her once again. He should have his presence announced in the future when he visits her but for this once, he entered the room and settled on one of the plush armchairs. 

Who sacrificed for her?

Other than the mark of resurrection, he also thought about the scars he saw on her wrists when she was dressing his bandages for the past month. Those weren't scars that she could've gotten from simple accidents. They looked deliberate, as though someone had meant to harm her in that manner. It was unsettling how he couldn't solve the mysteries surrounding her and there was so much he had on his mind. He wanted to know what exactly happened to her in Thethia, who did she plan to plot against and everything that happened between her and Elizabeth. 

"You're still here?" A hand hovered in front of him and he snapped back into attention.

He looked at her, ascertained that he was too deep into his own headspace to realise that she had come out of the dressing room. Glancing up and down, it was his turn to feel slightly flustered now that she was dressed thinly in a white long-sleeved nightgown. He turned slightly and thought about the raging snowstorm outside, he asked, "Aren't you cold?" 

"It's quite warm in here," Elianna replied. "You are done with work?"

"Yes, it's rather late at night now. My knights need to rest too," Rowan gave her a slight nod. "I'm here to check on you before I return to my own place to rest. Meanwhile, I also have a few matters to discuss with you." 

"What's the matter?"

"I hope that you'll be staying here for a long while, let me know if you have any plans in mind."