17. The Execution

Thethia: Mt

Thethia: Mt. Plytois, The House in the Mountains

• Elianna •

Sleep didn't find Elianna that night. No matter how she tossed and turned, she stayed wide awake. Deciding that there wasn't a point trying to force herself to sleep, she got down her bed and wanted to find Thunder outside. The couch he usually rested on was empty and she sighed, assuming that he had gone out to hunt. 

A feeling of disappointment tugged at her heart and she sat on the couch, not knowing what to do at this late hour while being all alone in this empty house. Elianna glanced out of the window and decided that she should take a walk. Grabbing a thick stole from the hanger by the door, she draped it over her shoulders and left the house. 

The chilly winds of autumn blew steadily. Its giddy currents flowed through woodland canopies as leaves rustled upon contact with each other. She followed the stone path and reached the lake beside the house. There, she spotted Thunder laying on one of the big rocks by the lake. Carefully approaching while still observing him, she sensed sadness and loneliness radiating through those luminescent green eyes. 

Elianna stood by the rocks and blurted out her question, "Are you thinking of Jason?" 

Her voice must've startled Thunder because he stood and spun his head back, taking a defensive stance. However, at the sight of her, he relaxed and rested back on the rocks lazily. Elianna took some effort to climb up the rocks and peered towards the waters of the lake which glittered as it reflected the moon that hung low in the night sky. 

She used her hand to dust leaves away from the calloused surface of the rock before sitting on it. Closing her eyes for a moment, she allowed the cold wind to caress her cheeks and dust her wavy brown hair behind her shoulder in a gentle, playful dance. When she opened her eyes again, she found Thunder looking at her with curiosity and concern. 

"Thunder, I miss everyone." Elianna was on the verge of tears. 

Thunder purred sadly in agreement and Elianna knew that whatever that happened must've been hard on Thunder too. The panther was rescued and raised by Jason since he was a cub. Not only were they comrades, but they were also companions. Jason never went a battle without Thunder and wherever Jason went, Thunder would follow. Yet, he couldn't follow him this time. 

She peered up into the starry night sky. Raising her hand, she wriggled her fingers against the dark sky, hoping that she could reach those sparkly little spots. Lylia used to tell her that when people die, they become stars so that they can look at their loved ones from up above. Her little heart squeezed at the thought. She could only wish that none of them is up there now. Then, she closed her hand into a fist and a sudden determination coursed through her. 

I need to find them.

"Do you know the way to town?" Elianna asked. Thunder nodded but stared at her disapprovingly. With all the supplies in the house, there was no reason for her to make a trip to town. Thunder would also go out of the house every few days to hunt for food for both of them.