8. Prince of Iftia

Thethia: Heather Palace, In the Woods

Elianna 

Elianna was out in the woods behind the palace, in the training ground which Jason had dedicated for her combat training. Usually, he would arrive earlier than her, but he's surprisingly late today.

She paced around the training ground for almost half an hour but he has yet made his appearance. Deciding that she shall not sit around any longer, she began her own training. Drawing a map of lines on the ground, she carved the symbol of a rune on the surface of a stone and mumbled a string of words in Thethiac.

Magic is the way of life. Commoners and maidservants in the palace practice household magic such as cleaning and cooking. The others learned magic that was specific for their job: Craftsman practiced crafting magic. Magicians and knights practiced combat magic. Healers practiced healing magic, so on. Everyone is born to excel in certain magic, so everyone in the country could contribute to the Kingdom. However, only the chosen ones receive the Gift when they turn nine. Gifts come in many different forms. Some gain control over elements, others can morph objects.

Jason received the Gift of Weaponry which allowed him to create and wield any forms of weapon in combat. In addition to that, he surpasses everyone in terms of knowledge and expertise. Not only was he an unpredictable opponent to anyone, but he also gained himself the title of the Genius of Thethia. 

Since Elianna is only eight this year, so no one would be sure if she would be gifted. Normally, children don't receive any form of training before the age of nine. However, since the moment she could walk and talk, she had been training with Jason. He made sure that she learns everything that he could teach her about. 

While fighting and strategies were all great for her, she's a total blockhead when it came to spell casting. Regardless of how much she tried, she would always turn out casting something else instead. When she was supposed to turn a table into a chair, she turned it into a tall tree that destroyed the shoddy ceiling of the study in the palace. And when she was supposed to turn a pen into a book, she turned it into a humongous crate instead and that became Lylia's storage box for groceries now. 

Jason did mention that it was impressive how she managed to scale up every item to be something destructive enough to almost tear the debilitated palace down, he didn't appreciate the catastrophic nature of her transformation spells. As a punishment, he had told her to solely focus on spell casting. He always reminded her that these spells can aid her survival and had to be known by heart. 

"Transform!" Elianna shouted, attempting to do transformation magic on a stone to turn it into a flower. The spell circle glowed on the stone and disappeared. Nothing happened. The child sighed and turned around to walk away. I am so bad at this. She whined internally. 

A moment later, there was a loud bam. She quickly rolled away and shielded her head. When she opened her eyes again, she dropped her head in despondency. There we go again. Jason would definitely reprimand me for exploding the stone instead of turning it into a flower.