9. The Girl with Amber Eyes

Thethia: Royal Palace

Rowan

Rowan spent the whole of the afternoon walking with the Princess of Thethia as she showed him around the Palace.

She politely engaged him every now and then, seemingly trying to get to know him better. They would occasionally stop somewhere for a while to enjoy tea and the view. While Rowan presented himself to be enjoying the moment, he was bored out within. 

To him, well-mannered royalties and nobles were plainly uninteresting. They simply repeated the same topics all over each time. Books, hobbies, and parties.

The day was getting late and Elizabeth was finally done with showing him around. He politely bowed towards her, "It has been a pleasant day. Thank you for showing me around."

"It's my pleasure," she blushed shyly. "Please have a good rest."

Rowan left the Royal Palace and wandered off on his own.

━━━━━━━━━━

Thethia: Heather Palace, In the Woods

Elianna

The sun had set and Elianna went towards the woods again for her combat training. Thunder arrived as usual at the training grounds in the woods, waiting for her. 

"You know the rules, Thunder." She signalled and he quickly disappeared into the darkness surrounding the woods.

She threaded through the woods nimbly with swift and accuracy. Blinded by the night, she could only rely on her other senses as she moved ahead. Thunder was a predatory animal and his movements were silent, lethal and without a trace. Even so, she could sense his presence and when he pounced forward from the darkness attempting to strike, she successfully dodged him by rolling backwards. Elianna got up and grabbed the wooden dagger tied to her thigh, holding it in front of her. But Thunder didn't attempt to attack, he chose to retreat back into the dark. She bent her knees slightly and was about to proceed until a sudden rustling of leaves nearby alerted her.

Other than her own footsteps, there shouldn't be anyone else in the woods. Elianna raised her hand as a signal for Thunder to stop.

Someone's here.

Her heart began pounding, she moved silently to where the sound came from. She reached to her thigh to keep the wooden dagger and grab for her own dagger, gripping the hilt tightly and holding it defensively when she was unsure if the person in the dark would be a friend or a foe. Whatever it was, nobody was supposed to know about her and these training. 

She lunged forward, ready to attack her unknown visitor but only to know that she was outplayed. A hand gripped the back of her neck and swung her head up before she felt two hands pushed her shoulders forcefully, throwing her off balance. She fell to the ground on her back and before she could attempt anything, a weight settled on her, immobilising her. A cold sharp edge was held firmly against her throat and Elianna quickly ceases her movement. Behind the boy, Thunder leapt from the dark and she watched as the boy raised his arm, ready to throw his dagger.