14. Nadia

Thethia: Royal Palace, Queen's Bedchamber

Queen of Thethia, Nadia 

"Marie, could you please help me pick out a dress?" Nadia requested.

"Of course, Your Majesty," Marie nodded, walking her towards the dressing room while she added, "Knight Wayland sent a message to say that all preparations have been made."

"Good, thank you," Nadia smiled.

While waiting for Marie to pick out a dress for her, she swiped her hand idly against the soft material of all the beautiful dresses that hung in her dressing room and a thought surfaced. This wasn't the life that I chose for myself.

Nadia looked into the mirror and the woman staring back at her had skin almost paler than while and a fragile demeanor that resembled nothing like the young and brave person she used to be. If being surrounded by extravagance came with the price of sacrificing her children and all her happiness, she wished that she had went against the Royal Decree and escaped to a faraway place, with Jason.

She settled herself in front of the vanity and pulled out the drawer, taking out a velvet box and within it was simple silver ring, a promise ring. Nadia reached for her ring finger, removing the gold ring that she wore for the last few years of her life and replaced it with the silver ring. Her eyes watered and her heart ached, Nadia kissed gently on the silver ring which brought her back to the memories of the good old days back in Veilstein manor.

In those days, he was always with her. He stayed with her in the library for an entire day while the read. Rather, it was him who had all his attention focused on the text he read while she had all her attention to tease him. Jason wasn't a man with much words but he allowed her to poke fun on him all the time. On days with great weather, she would pull him to go horse-riding together and travel out of the manor to the lake they named as their secret hideout. It was funny how they would always return all drenched and messy and Butler Oswald would give them a good scolding while punishing them to trim the garden bushes the day after. Jason never approved of her cutting the weeds but she didn't care because even being punished together with him brought her so much joy.

A wide smile lifted on her face as she reminisced those carefree days and if there was a chance, she would give anything to return back in time just to experience those happiness again. This palace became her cage and the entire Royal Grounds was the prison she was sentenced to suffer for the remain of her life since the crowning.

Marie dressed her and she sat back on the cushioned seat in front of the vanity. When Marie slowly lowered the crown above her head, she quickly felt the weight that was making it difficult for her to breathe but she held herself upright.