18. Elianna's Gift

Thethia: Floriv, Town of Central Thethia

• Jason •

He watched as the child turned around and ran away from the town square, away from the crowd. A sense of relief washed over him when he knew that once she returned with Thunder to where she was supposed to be, she would be safe.

Jason knew why Elianna had come to Floriv. He knew her well that she wouldn't sit around without knowing what happened. Though, it was heart-wrenching to know that she had to see them in their state, to see them in their last moments. It had to be cruel enough for a child of her age to witness everything and knowing that everyone she loved wouldn't return to her. Even so, they sacrificed themselves willingly to exchange for her freedom and a life filled with boundless adventures ahead. 

The fire caught up to him, burning at his feet before racing up his body. It hurts at first, and it was frightening how death simply loomed ahead of him. Yet, the pain seemed to numb because he could barely feel anything except for the hollowness in his heart. His chest tightened at the memory of her — the queen of his heart. He remembered her faint smile when she looked at him before the light faded from her amber eyes.  

Jason looked up at the sky. Nadia, I will be there soon. Please wait for me. He smiled as the fire consumed what was left of him.

━━━━━━━━━━

Thethia: Mt. Plytois 

• Elianna •

Picking up her pace, Elianna ran and as fast as her feet could take her. Jason told her to go, he wanted her to leave them and return to wherever she had to be. The child couldn't understand what she was supposed to run from and why she had to leave them behind but she refused to stop. Together with Thunder, she ran until she left Floriv and she ran until she reached the foot of the mountain which led her back to the house in the mountains. Thunder followed behind her but the moment she reached back in the house, she slammed the door of her room shut to trap herself in and leave Thunder outside. 

She wanted to cry but tears refused to fall. So, she screamed. She screamed till her voice became hoarse. She felt pain — so much pain — that it was as though someone had split her open and ripped her heart out. Her small hands clutched tightly against the material of her dress as she squirmed in agony. When she finally lost her voice to scream, she slumped against the cold ground with knees tucked close to her chest. Memories of stakes, fire and the people she loved came crashing into her mind. The nauseating feeling overwhelmed her and hastily pushing herself up, she convulsed and threw up.

Seemingly unwilling to wait outside any longer, Thunder tackled and crashed open the door. He leapt towards her and used his paws to push on her shoulder, adjusting her to face him as he inspected her. Not knowing what else to do, Elianna wrapped her arms around Thunder's neck and buried her head against him. The child trembled violently, feeling helpless and frightened. She held onto Thunder as though he was the last hope she had been left with.