4. Jason Wayland

Thethia: Royal Palace, Queen's Chamber

Jason 

"Your Majesty, I heard that you had requested for my presence," Jason mentioned, placing a hand over the left side of his chest as he bowed slightly to greet the Queen, Her Majesty.

Looking towards her, he noticed the worry and weariness in her expression and a sudden pang of guilt darted through him. He wished that he had returned back to the Royal Grounds sooner and after hearing everything from Marie, he couldn't help but feel a complicating mix of anger and sadness for her.

"Yes, Jason," the Queen nodded. "I have an important matter to entrust you with."

"I'm always here to serve you. Please do tell me about it," Jason gestured, waiting for her to speak to him about all that she had in her mind.

When Marie arrived at the knight's quarters to look for him, he already guessed what was expected of him. He knew that she would request him to protect the princess — the lonely princess residing in the solitude palace. Regardless, he had to hear from the Queen before deciding on which soldier under him could be promoted into a knight to take on the important task.

"Jason, you're my knight and I trust you the most," she said, pausing for a moment before continuing, "No one else can know about our conversation today, do you understand?"

"I understand."

"I want you to personally train Elianna, Jason. I want you to teach her how to fight and educate her, and I want her to start at the first moment she can walk and talk."

"Your Majesty?" Jason's eyes widened in surprise, taken aback by the Queen's request.

Jason had expected the request to be choosing several trustworthy men to be the knights and protect the princess. He also anticipated that she may request for him to find suitable tutors or assign a few more maidservants to attend to the newborn. Yet, the Queen had asked him to be the princess' mentor. And that's something that knights like him don't do. 

We don't mentor anyone. Moreover, a toddler. 

Queen of Thethia, Nadia 

"Jason, please don't turn down the offer," Nadia pleaded. "There's no one more appropriate than you to mentor my Elianna." 

Honestly, he was her only choice because she could not think of entrusting another person to fulfil the role. 

As a mother, she could not bear to be so harsh to her child. However, everything's different for Elianna. If she doesn't know how to fight, if she doesn't know about the world, it is impossible for her to survive in her harsh circumstances. Therefore, as her mother, she can only hope that all these can keep her alive. She wanted Eli to be safe and she hoped that she would be able to protect herself when the time called for it.