10. New Moon

Thethia: Aster Palace, Rose Garden

Elizabeth 

A few months passed since the King and the Prince of Iftia visited Thethia. Since then, the season has changed, autumn has arrived in Thethia.

Elizabeth gently rocked back and forth on the garden swing while she enjoyed her book. The weather was perfectly pleasant and it would be a waste to spend the day indoors. The tip of her finger held onto the corner of the page, slowly flipping the pages as she went. Fallen auburn leaves piled on the ground, donning it with a carpet of vibrant hues. Soft autumn breeze brushed against her skin with each pendulum swing, tousling her brown hair into buoyant curls in the air. The calm air carried a hint of earthly aroma, putting her at ease in comfortable delight. 

"Your Highness, would you like to have tea?" One of the maidservants asked.

"Yes, please," she answered.

Without much delay, the maidservant returned with a tray of tea and snacks. She placed them carefully on the garden table beside the swing. Chanting a soft command in Thethiac, Elizabeth stilled her swing as she took over the teacup from her maidservant and held it near her lips to sip on it. Then, a wave of dizziness rushed into her. Had I been swinging for too long? She wondered. 

Grabbing the handle of the swing for support, she pushed herself off. However, the moment her feet touched the ground, she stumbled and fell forward. Her vision split into two as the world in front of her swirled into an incomprehensible mess. 

"Your Highness?" The maidservant called out nervously as she reached forward to help her up.

"Renae, I don't feel well," Elizabeth said weakly, holding onto Renae and leaning against her for support. 

On top of the dizziness, she felt nauseated. When she could not hold it in any longer, she hurled the contents out. When she glanced down at her own hand, she saw blood. Her whole hand was dyed in a shade of red, brighter and much more ominous than the leaves on the ground. The last thing she heard before her entire world went into pitched black was Renae's scream when she held onto her, "Princess Elizabeth! Someone call the Royal Doctors!"

━━━━━━━━━━

Thethia: Aster Palace, Elizabeth's Bedchamber

King of Thethia

"W-We don't know what's w-wrong with the Princess." The Royal Doctor broke out in cold sweat as he shuddered in fear in front of him. "T-There was n-no indication of poison in h-her system." 

"What do you mean by you do not know? The princess just vomited blood!" Wynston bellowed. He closed his eyes in frustration while pinching the bridge of his nose. "Get out of the room right now, and get the Priest here. Now!"