28. Royal Medical Exam

Iftia: Lyx Palace, Study

Elianna

Pushing the door ajar, Elianna stood behind and hoped that Rowan wouldn't be too busy for her. His entire silhouette was almost hidden behind tall piles of documents on his desk and she suddenly felt that it might be a wrong time for her to visit. Regardless, she tried in a low voice, "Your Highness." 

At the sound of her voice, Rowan lifted his head and appeared above the mountains of documents on his desk. His brilliant blue eyes sparkled in surprise when he smiled, "Eli? Come on in, don't just stand there." 

"Are you busy? Do you have some time to talk now?" she checked, carefully made her way into the room.  

"Just a little, please don't be bothered by it." Rowan got up from his seat and walked towards her. 

"Your High—" 

Before she could continue to speak all that she had in her mind, he placed a finger on her lips. Looking at her, he grazed his finger gently across the curve of her lower lip and said, "When we're alone, please call me Rowan. I don't like it when you're so formal with me." 

The sudden closeness caused her heart to skitter and she felt herself getting lost in the depths of his blue eyes when she stared at them for a little too long. His name became a soft murmur that tumbled past her lips, "Rowan."

"How can I help you, love?" His fingers moved to tuck loose strands of her hair behind her ear. 

Elianna inhaled sharply, trying to figure out the wave of foreign emotions that darted through her chest. Even when she had spent quite an amount of time with him, she still couldn't get used to his loving gestures. Since their meeting, Rowan didn't bother to hide his intentions towards her but neither did she dare to ask him about them. They always left her slightly lost with a desire of wanting more but also confused and unsure of how to reciprocate. Once again, she was left utterly flustered and had to shift her gaze away from his eyes to stare at the space above his shoulder. She spoke her request, "U-Um, I would like to take the Royal Medical Exam." 

"You don't have to rush, Eli. The Royal Medical Exam is one of the most difficult exams in the Kingdom and each candidate only has one chance to attempt every two years," Rowan reminded. 

"I'm well-prepared," Elianna replied firmly. Though, she wouldn't know how to explain to him if he were to ask her. Every piece of knowledge and those medical texts were taught and left to her by Jason. She couldn't just mention to him about Jason because of the wronged sentence of treason that was tied to his name. 

Even when Rowan had been genuine and sincere to here, she wasn't confident enough to tell her story. She didn't know if she could trust him enough for him to not send her back to Thethia once he knew about everything. After all, she was still a wanted criminal and an accomplice to their treacherous act against the royal name of Thethia. If the First Prince of Iftia was suspected of providing sanctuary to a person like her, he could be prosecuted.