13. Jason

Thethia: Heather Palace, Training Grounds in the Woods

Elianna

"Again!" Jason called out.

Elianna huffed breathlessly, almost unable to move with her trembling limbs. Training had lasted for the entire afternoon and Jason refused to give her a break. Although spellcasting had been her weakest, she worked very hard on them for the past few months and this afternoon, they spent the entire time casting protective spells. At the start, she couldn't even get anything right, but she managed to cast a barrier which covered at least half of the training ground. It was fortunate that she was a quick learner and Jason had been sharp to pick out her mistakes. Otherwise, it would probably take her years to finally figure something out. 

Concentrating on the energy within her, she allowed it to flow through her arms while commanding another wave of magic. A magic circle expanded beneath her and purple light shone from the lines, forming a barrier over them. It was slightly bigger than the last and she smiled satisfyingly at the improvement she made once again. Yet, Jason said, "You can do better, Elianna. Again." 

The soreness all over her body ached and she felt terribly worn out from having her magic energy fully depleted. Elianna knew that if she were to continue, she would pass out undoubtedly. She refused, "I need a break." 

"Elianna," Jason frowned in disapproval. 

Not understanding why he had been pushing her harder with each subsequent training these few months, the child felt annoyed and uneasy. Unintentionally, her temper showed and she raised her voice, "I need a break, Jason!" 

"Stand up," Jason said, almost impatiently and restlessly. "This is exactly why I kept reminding you not to cut slack on your stamina training." 

At this point, Elianna couldn't be bothered to stand anymore. She had exhausted all her strength and her vision had begun to blur. Her legs stumbled forward and she simply let herself fall to the ground. A sudden surge of emotions within her worsened her dizziness but the child still snapped, "I'm only eight! Why are you being so harsh on me?" 

"You don't understand!" Jason retorted. "It is exactly because you are turning nine!"

Elianna wanted to retaliate but she couldn't even steady herself enough to speak another word. Her upper body swayed forward, but Jason caught her before she hit the ground. In one swift motion, he held her up and helped her to the nearest bench. Jason tried to offer her water, but she was too angry at him and slapped his arm away. The container hit the ground and water from within spilt into the snow, solidifying into ice almost immediately. Elianna squeezed her eyes close, afraid that Jason would take it out on her since he had been in a foul mood since morning. 

Instead, there was silence. 

Her eyes peeled open slowly, peeking towards Jason carefully. She only saw a pair of grey eyes that were filled with hurt and sorrow staring towards her. It was the same expression she saw in Lylia. He broke off the eye contact immediately, turning his head to the side, avoiding her gaze. Speaking in a voice that was void of any emotions, he apologised, "I'm sorry, I should've noticed you were not feeling well. We'll stop here for today."