LETTER I

*JENNIE*

"You know Jennie, if you weren't my best friend I'd definitely kick you out of my apartment, but things have changed and I can't keep you forever. I'm already an engaged woman." Nayeon heavily sighed.

Nayeon is my bestfriend for almost 20 years and we've been staying on her apartment since we were college up until now that we're already working on a company. But sad to say that she's getting married to a sweet, gentleman guy whom I barely know.

"I know Nayeon. That's why I need your help to pack my things up and leave this place." I continued on folding my spare clothes then placed it on my black suitcase.

"I cared about you so much, we've been together for a long long time and you're not just a bestfriend, you're a sister to me also." Nayeon began sniffing fakely.

"Oh stop with that cringey stuff Nayeon. I can handle myself alone. In fact, all I need to do is finish folding these clothes and I'm good to go to my new place."

Nayeon stood up, staring at me intently.

"No man/woman is an island Jennie. You're already 29 years old for god sake! Lately you haven't been on a relationship with someone, someone who would stay by your side. I'm just worried that you'll die old with no one to lean on." Nayeon put her hands on her waist, lecturing me with things that makes sense, because all I know that she love and cared for me. I started zipping my suitcase right after I finished folding my clothes.

"We'll get into that Nayeon. Someday... Someday" I muttered.

Nayeon deeply sighed for I don't know how many times.

"Come on let's go, my new house is waiting for me." I took my car keys as I pulled my suitcase. Giggling with excitement.

Me and Nayeon reached the house I am supposed to live for the rest of my life, it was around the corner of Hongdae. A 15 minute drive to my workplace. Not bad I guess?

"Y-yah Jennie! Mind helping me with these boxes?" Nayeon exclaimed, struggling from carrying the large boxes out of the car's trunk.

"I'll open the door first and I'll help you right away." I chuckled.

Inside the house, I couldn't help but feel at ease. A cozy place yet empty. I'll work on with that. A house worth of my 5 year savings. Choosing an apartment for myself is a no-no, I mean I bought this place for a really low price from a middle aged woman, apartment was way too expensive for me.

"Hey, this house is not bad. Why did they sell it?" Nayeon asked.

"well the ajhumma told me that there's no one living on this place anymore, so they had to sell it as fast as possible." I said.

Roaming around the house, I observed that there were two rooms, the first one with pink walls astounded by the fact that there was still furniture inside, a large bed, working table and a cabinet to be exact. Why would they leave these things behind? Wait. Don't tell me that ajhumma is a swindler? That there was someone who's actually living here? God, I hope not. But from what I've seen, the house is too dusty as if that this place has been abandoned for a long time. But what if that ajhumma killed the owner of the house? What the hell is wrong with me and with my thoughts!

"JENNIEEEEE" I heard Nayeon's voice at the living room. So I went back to her and witness the large boxes scattered all over the floor.

"Guess we had a lot of things to do, and room to clean?" I crossed my arms and raised both of my brows.

2 days had passed and I'm already getting used to my new home. Silent and peaceful just as what I have expected if I live all by myself. It was already 10 in the evening when I reached my house after a terrible day at my work. Closing my car's door, a man standing in front of my house caught my attention.

"Excuse me, what do you need sir?" he turned behind, facing me.

"Oh good evening, are you the owner of the house?" he said. He was wearing a blue collar shirt with a blue cap and a large sling bag hanging on his waist.

"Yes, I am the owner." By the looks of it, he seemed to be a mailman. But these days, mailman were almost obsolete, since technologies took care of communications worldwide.

"This letter is for you Miss. It was delivered pretty late since it came from Thailand." He smiled as he gave me a brown envelope.

"B-but it came from whom?" I stared at him dumbfounded.

"I don't know Miss, but this is the correct address, right?" he showed me his list of address and the letter is really sent to my house address.

"I have to go now Miss. Have a pleasant evening." He raised his cap and left the place right away.

Inside the house, I placed the brown envelope on my coffee table beside my bed. should I open and read it? but it's not mine to begin with. The letter is sent to my house so I have the right to read it? argh I don't know. Looking at the envelope, a logo of ROKA (Republic of Korea Army) is sealed against the piece of paper.

"It's from the army." I thought to myself.

Taking a peek from it, won't harm me. right? I hesitated on opening it but curiosity ate my thoughts. I reached for the envelope, slowly and gently peeling the logo sealed against the paper. Inside the envelope was a letter.

To my lovely wife,

How are you? I know I have been unfair with you. The war here was too much, the gunfires, bomb explosions, stinky iron smell of blood are everywhere. Too much that it took us a year and a half before the war stopped. And within those years I wasn't able to send you a letter, I can't help but feel lonely here, but I know you feel the same way too. What are you doing? Are you still busy with your drawings and paintings? Or maybe busy composing new songs with your guitar? No matter how far away we are to each other, you know that you will always be the only person that I'll love for the rest of my life, the only strength I have to bear this place, this army. I hope you remember that I wouldn't want to receive a letter from you, because we both know how weak I am when it comes to you. That I would run away from this place just to be with you. But you held your promise that you will prevent yourself from sending me letters. Right after the war ended, I wrote a letter for you right away, knowing your longings for me is always what you felt. Our new set of training will start this week here in Thailand, I'm not telling the exact place. I'm just afraid you'll visit me here, remember. I. AM. WEAK. I miss you my Chaeyoungie.

Your handsome wife,

Lisa

"Okay, that was a really heart melting message from a soldier away from her wife." I muttered under my breath.

Who the hell is Lisa Manoban? A soldier oblivious about sending her letter to a stranger like me.

I hope this will be the last letter that she'll send to my house.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

But I was wrong.