--Chapter Thirty-Eight--

(3rd Person POV)

Once Dr. Sephiran saw Gwen's figure slump in his soldier's arms, he turned around to see what had created the blast. He turned around to see the rest of his back up fighting the Secret Warriors.

"Take the girl back! We'll finish up here, grab the target, and head back when we're done!" He ordered his troops.

"You're not walking away with any of them!" Quake told him.

"Please," he scoffed, "My men are highly trained operatives, and will easily beat your team of misfits."

Just as he finished saying that, one of his men flew into him, knocking him into a wall. He glanced up to see a small amount of them still standing. Realizing they would be beat soon, he got up and ran away.

"Forget the target!" He told himself as he ran, "The boss will realize what happened. Besides, we didn't come back empty-handed."

"What was that about?" Ms. Marvel asked Quake once they had taken care of all the soldiers.

"I don't know, but they got Gwen. Look around and see what you can find. I heard the one in a lab coat mention something about a 'target'." She responded to Ms. Marvel, she then repeated the last part to the rest of the Secret Warriors. They all nodded and spread out.

Squirrel Girl started walking away from the group, only to trip on something. When she looked down she saw a sleeping Gloria.

"Hey! Guys! Isn't this one of Gwen's friends?" She asked calling them to see her.

"Yeah! But what's she doing here, and why is she sleeping?" Patriot responded.

"Look!" Inferno said pointing to a dart sticking out of Gloria's side.

"That must be what put her to sleep! Could she have been the target?" Ms. Marvel exclaimed.

"I have a feeling that she was the target." Patriot said pointing to Ace on the ground not that far from Gloria.

Quake walked over to her and pulled out another dart, just like the one they found on Gloria.

"I think you're right, let's take both of them to the base and once they wake up we'll get the story out of them." Quake told her team.

"Are you crazy!? For all we know, that's exactly what they want!" America yelled.

"From what we can see, she was the victim here. We need to figure out what's going on before we do anything." Quake responded to her in a calm tone.

"Fine, but when she betrays us don't say I didn't warn you." America said as she roughly picked Ace up. She then walked over to Gloria and gently picked her up and flew off to the base.

"Well, that went well," Inferno said sarcastically as they watched her fly off.

"No kidding," Patriot responded throwing his shield down and flying after America.

--------------------------------------------------

Hey, sorry this is a little bit of a filler chapter. It's short but at least it's up. We'll see what happens next, won't we? Also, book two of "Mimic" will be called "The Underground." I have a cover and it will continue after I finish this book. So far I have about fifty chapters written before I start it. That's what you have to look forward to, and if you're excited don't forget to vote and comment your support!

-RF