--Chapters Forty, Forty-One, & Forty-Two--

I started to wake up to voices

I started to wake up to voices. Something about someone wanting me awake. I decided that I'd stay still until I could make fast decisions and when my brain didn't feel as muddled. I laid there for what felt like hours before I heard someone chuckling.

"Why don't you just open your eyes? We have a brain scan showing you're awake after all." Dr. Sephiran told me in his oily voice. I hate it already, but I did as he said and opened my eyes.

"Ah, now that's better, isn't it? Now that you're finally awake, my employer would like a word with you." He told me as he got up. He snapped his fingers and the men in suits returned and lifted me up, they then proceeded to drag me to the 'employer's' office. I knew struggling was useless because if I couldn't break out of their hold before, I wouldn't be able to do it now with my limbs feeling like they were chained to the ground.

"What do you want with me?" I asked Dr. Sephiran, not bothering to lift my head when I did.

"Well, you'll help us draw out that pesky failed experiment, and once you do, we'll be able to test the extent of the brain wipe. Who knows, you may even become an experiment yourself." He responded in a happy voice. Just then we reached a metal door, with a keypad to the right of it.

"You know the drill." He said to the guards holding me, I heard them grunt before one of them covered my eyes. I heard the door open and then close. The guard then removed his hand.

"When do you think they'll let us learn the code? I mean I get the reason why he gets to walk in first, but why must we close our eyes?" One of the guards asked the other.

"It's a precaution, only giving it to those in the higher ranks. I get what you're saying, but we better drop it before they come back out." The other responded. I guess they did so because there was no further discussion.

Soon enough I heard the door reopen and the guards walked forward with me. I heard someone scoff, and once we stopped, footsteps walking towards us.

"This is the girl that you took instead of the target?" A disapproving voice said from in front of me. I looked up to see a tall, pale man looking me in the eye. His eyes reminded me of Ace's, stormy gray, with a hint of blue. The difference was that his eyes held none of the emotions that her's did. His were stone cold.

Looking closer I could see even more resemblance, the same build, hair color, all down to the intelligent glint in the eye. The only difference was that this man looked deathly pale, almost white. Could this man be her father?

"Y-yes s-sir." Dr. Sephiran said from his place in the room. He looked extremely nervous, like the man could torture him at any time.

"Get rid of her, she is of no use to me. You are to go out again and find Ace. You're already in trouble for what you did to her, I'd hate to be you if you fail." The man said to him, making the doctor slump even more.

"Very well, Von Ziegler, sir." He said before leaving the room, with the guards following.

I hadn't thought about what Von Ziegler said, I was still lost in how much he looks like Ace, and why he seems to care about her. Could he really be her father? Why would he do that if she is? Could he not have known? All these thoughts flooded my mind, but I put them aside when Dr. Sephiran started talking.