--Chapter Thirty-Nine--

After I felt a little prick on my back, everything went black

After I felt a little prick on my back, everything went black. The next thing I knew, I found myself lying on something soft. My mind was in a haze, my eyelids heavy. Despite this, I forced my eyes open.

I found my eyesight blurry, but I could tell someone was standing over me. I tried squinting, but I still couldn't make out their face.

"Guys! She's awake!" I heard him yell, it sounded like Dante. I couldn't tell, my brain was still super slow.

I tried to get up, but my arms felt like lead. I groaned when I tried to lift my head, the effort giving me a headache. I gave up on moving and just stayed where I was.

"Take it easy, you've been out for a while." A new voice told me, Rayshaun maybe?

"H-how long? How long was I-I out?" I asked in a raspy voice. My throat was really dry, and every movement was a struggle.

"About a day and a half. You barely moved." I think I heard Daisy say. My head was foggier then when I woke up for the first time in the hospital. I groaned again.

"Well, give me a couple of minutes and I'll be out of your hair." I rasped. I just wanted to get away from them, but here I was, laying on their couch, once again.

"Nope, you're not going anywhere. Where did they take Gwen!" America said leaning over me, I'd recognize the anger in her voice anywhere.

"What do you mean? Who took Gwen? I was walking away from her and then I felt a prick, then I felt like I was falling. Next thing I knew I was awake on this dang couch again!" I told her, growing angrier and angrier as I went on.

"You mean you don't remember anything? Nothing about that scientist guy at all? Not even why they called you the 'target'?" Doreen asked me. I shook my head in response then regretted it immediately.

"I guess we'll have to wait until Gloria wakes up. Maybe she can tell us more about what happened." Kevin said crossing his arms.

"What do you mean? What happened? Why can't I leave?" I asked. I lifted myself up as I did, ignoring the black spots dancing in my vision. My limbs still felt like lead, but I forced them to move regardless.

"We don't exactly know everything that happened, but all we know is that Gwen got attacked by some scientist guy and that you were the 'target'. Both you and Gloria were knocked out with tranquilizer darts, and after Gwen was cornered she was too. They took Gwen somewhere and then ran off. We were going to see if you knew anything, but you seem to know less than we do." Daisy explained to me. I sighed, why couldn't I just run away and keep my friends safe?

"Well, once we know what Gloria knows, we can make a plan." I told them. It was like when Exile and Sheath attacked Gwen, we make a plan and set bait. I would be the bait this time.

"You came up with that just now? What do you suppose that plan will include?" America asked me skeptically.

"It's like when Exile and Sheath wanted Gwen, we make a plan and then set bait. Since they want me, I'll be the bait once we have a plan." I told her matching her tone.

She looked at me shocked, like she couldn't believe I had thought that far ahead. I shrugged at her in response, showing her that I didn't think hard. My response was her eyes filling with rage.

"Guys! I think she's waking up!" Kamala said from across the room. I guess she was talking about Gloria.

"Give her some space, she'll be confused when she wakes up." Daisy instructed her team. Everyone nodded and stayed where they were, Kamala being the one closest to her.

"What's going on?" I heard her say from across the room.

"Just relax, you're safe." Kamala reassured her.

"What about Ace, and Gwen?" She asked. I was surprised she was asking about me. After all, I was apparently the reason she had been knocked out.

"Ace is fine, she's right over there. We're going to help Gwen once you tell us all you know about that man in the lab coat." Kamala told her, gently helping her sit up.

"The scientists? He said Ace was some kind of experiment. He mentioned something called a 'brain wipe' too." She told her, yawning. I sat there in shock, I was an experiment? Brain wipe? What does that even mean? What trouble have I gotten Gwen into?

"Do you think you could explain everything that happened that night?" Daisy asked her, she nodded in response and started telling us about that night, from the beginning.

She told us about how she found Gwen banging on the drums, everything she had told her, them at dinner hearing me sing. Then she told us about their encounter with the guy in the lab coat. Everything he said, it left us all in shock. I was trying to figure out the 'brain wipe'.

I started getting painful flashbacks, a white room, being clamped down, something being strapped over my eyes. I felt feet fear rise in my chest. I started gasping for air, the images blocking my vision, coming faster now. If I hadn't been sitting down, I would've been on the floor. I couldn't breathe or speak, there was an invisible weight on my chest, I couldn't move, the clamps in the vision feeling all too real.

"Ace! Are you okay? What's going on?!" Daisy asked me. Between the images, I could barely see her coming towards me.

I tried to answer her, but another flash caused me to cry out and fall off the couch to the ground, clutching my head.

"What's going on?! Ace! What's wrong?!" I faintly heard Daisy ask me, but I didn't pay any attention. It was all coming back to me, my whole life.

Growing up a normal kid, discovering my powers, keeping them a secret, eavesdropping on my 'parents' them finding out that they knew something about my powers, finding out I wasn't normal, finding out I was adopted, and being brought to a lab where my memory was wiped away, and Dr. Sephiran. The scientist in charge of it all, I felt a rage inside when I heard his name. The visions ended after that, after them strapping a viser over my eyes and everything going black.

"Ace!" I heard Daisy's voice faintly say over and over again. I focused on that, pulling myself back to reality.

"I-I'm okay." I said shakily, finding myself in a cold sweat. I pushed myself back up onto the couch, trying to slow my racing heart.

"What happened?" Doreen asked me, putting a hand on my shoulder.

"Let's just say my life flashed before my eyes." I responded with a bitter laugh.

"You mean, you remember your life?" Kamala asked me.

"Yeah, but more importantly, I know where they took Gwen."

-------------------------------------------

Bum bum bum. Sorry for the wait, but now I have to go finish homework.

-RF