☆18

"He's behind the fences at the back of the school

"He's behind the fences at the back of the school." Minho murmured, picking up Donghyuck's discarded bag and handing it to Yuji. She turned to him shocked.
"What? No i-"
"I know who you are, he told me." He said, nodding slightly and turned to go sit back at his table, pressing a kiss to Haeun's head.

Yuji stood there for a moment then looked down at the bag in her hand.
Behind the fences at the back of the school.

She repeated in her head and mentally prepared herself, inhaling she walked towards the door and once she was outside, she caught sight of Renjun and the others who watched her, confused.
Yuji only smiled in reply to reassure them.
Back of the school.

She had now reached the last section students could actually be at. They weren't supposed to go past this point because all that was on the other side was a fence that lead somewhere- that fence was most likely shut. She turned the corner of the narrow passageway, feeling like she was doing something she wasn't meant to- well actually she was.
The atmosphere changed, everything was dull and empty, aside from a few large trash cans and discarded soda bottles scattered on the floor.

Was he even here?

Yuji wouldn't have known whether he was here until she caught the sound of a lighter. Uneasy, she walked cautiously towards the noise, finding another corner. Turning that corner, she was greeted with the sight of Donghyuck who was leaning against the wall, a puff of smoke emitting from his lips, head resting on the wall and eyes closed.

The sound of her footsteps caused him to open his eyes and look her way, beyond surprised. He blew out the remaining smoke and lowered his cigarette. Yuji's eyes followed it and in the other hand contained his lighter, while the packet of more cigarettes peeked out his pocket.
He had now pushed himself off the wall and coughed slightly.

"What are you doing here?" He spoke, tone slightly raspy.
Yuji didn't reply, she only continued to take in the sight of him, confused as to why he was so nice and sweet that day.
Realising she hadn't replied, she held his bag out and his eyes flickered to her and the bag.
"Oh." He said, knowing why she had come. He walked closer towards her, the smell of cigarettes swarming her senses and she automatically scrunched her nose up.
Now only a couple of centimetres away, he stopped at looked up at her, one hand on the bag.

His eyes bored into hers and she quickly let go of the bag and stepped back, stuffing her hands in her pocket. His eyes followed her, trying to decipher what she was thinking.
What did she think of him now?
They both stood in each others presence, silently and not knowing what to say.
"Uh..." She trailed off, trying to get rid of the suffocating silence.

Donghyuck sighed and walked back to the makeshift seat- a solid, big box on the floor. Sitting down, he stared ahead, looking at the building a few metres away with stormy eyes. Yuji also looked towards the building, wondering what it was, and then back at him.
"Why do you uh like, you know-" she stuttered out, trying to find the words.
"Smoke?" His tone was cut off and hollow.

She nodded, still standing a fair distance away, not knowing why he had drastically changed. Donghyuck only shrugged and brought the stick up to his lips against, leaning his body forward and head bowed down slightly, hair falling on his head. Yuji's fingernails pierced into her own palms at the sight and she strided towards him, whatever fear was holding her back, diminished.
Not even saying anything, she yanked the cigarette out of his hand, the motion making him look up.
His eyes followed as she dropped it onto the floor and stood on it, crushing it under her heel.

Was he shocked?
Yes.

Her eyes held anger and she looked down at him, shaking her head.
"Why are you harming yourself like this?" She demanded, wanting an answer.
Donghyuck held her gaze for a second but didn't reply.
He only stuffed his hand in his pocket, most likely getting another out.
The hand with the lighter had been held up, elbow resting on his knee.
Yuji was angry at him for ignoring her and blatantly smoking right in front of her.

Reaching her hand out, she grasped his fist that held the lighter. Once again he looked up at the girl and then at her hand that was over his own.
Her finger trailed down his fist and at the base of his palm, the tingles making him shiver momentarily. Her fingers began to try and pry his fist open and he almost- almost mistook for her wanting to hold his hand. Yet he realised what she was doing and he tightened his fist.

"Just leave it." He said, his tone much softer than it was with the boy yet still it was cold. Yuji scoffed and yanked his hand towards her and forcefully tried to open his hand.
"Give it to me." She demanded.
He only shook his head.
Whilst trying to get to the lighter, he pulled his hand towards him to get his hand out of her grasp, instead accidentally pulling her down towards him.