Chapter 21: Variance

That girl.. Seryu, was it? She's so really upset when when she knew that the mad scientist won't be coming back anymore as he falls into NightRaid's grasps and get killed along with that stupid Eurydice.. When i saw them at the garden, I felt a strange mixed emotions while watching them which is mostly confusing. As far as I knew, she is the one who killed Sheele so sympathy isn't suit on her..but, the inner me acts the opposite of it.

It made me feel like I was the one to blame for that pain and sadness in her.

But she killed Sheele. And she didn't feel any remorse or regrets when she killed her so why can't I feel the same way? Why...

Esdeath: Drowned in your deep thoughts again, N/n?

I snap out from my thoughts as I've heard Esdeath's voice. I gently close the book and put it on the table before tilting my head onto the right side of the room to see her, she was leaning on the bookshelf with her arm's crossed on her chest and had that serious gaze on her face.

Y/n: How long have you've been there?

Esdeath: Not long enough to see your troubled face. Anyway, Wave and Kurome told me that you successfully rescued your students but fail to find Tatsumi. I am truly grateful for your efforts but we must postponed that mission for now as we have something new to prioritized than finding him.

Prioritized?

Y/n: What is it?

Esdeath: Well, The prime Minister is waiting for us at the dining hall. He would perhaps explain our next new assignment. *Smile*

Y/n: ... understood.

I stood up from my chair and felt a sharp pain on my chest, it suddenly made me hinder from my movements and Esdeath notice it.

Esdeath: Is there something wrong N/n?

Y/n: I'm fine.

I regain my composure and silently walked out of my study room with her trailing me behind and get to the dining hall where that old Meat lover awaits. While we're walking, I can deeply sense from behind that she's examining me by those icy blue eyes. I emotionlessly ignore it and focus onto the path that we were currently taking, still thinking of that very confusing emotions earlier.

As soon as we arrived, Prime Minister Honest is having his tea alone before we came in.

Honest: Ah, the empire's genuine generals. Come on, sit. I have a 'favour' to ask from you two.

I've notice a wave of antipathy in me when Honest pronounces that word. What is he want us to do now? We took our own seats and removed our caps as a respect for this old meat lover.

Esdeath: We were listening.

Honest: A new species of Danger beast has appeared and causing such nuisance around the Capital. I would like you two to get rid of them.

Y/n: A new breed of danger beast?

Esdeath: Yes, I've heard of them when I was searching one of my Jaeger's. I've already started investigating them until recently, these creatures move in to the forest and with just days ago, I receive a report that they forced their way to a couples home and devoured them.

Honest: I heard that these creatures were statedly quite resemblance to human beings. You two will be having some fun dealing within these new toys. The great General Budo wants them all destroyed but I would love to examined them.