Chapter 48 - Second Chance

Amanda Estelle

I brought to cups of coffee to the balcony, one for my father and one for me. He thanked me and I gave him a smile. We both looked at the beautiful lights of New York. Yes, we're drinking coffee at 8 p.m because we both needed it.

"How's work today?" My father asked because I just got home from work.

"Good.. I think." I've been spacing out all the time to be honest.

"Still thinking about Logan huh?" He asked and I nodded.

"I love him.. a lot and knowing that he feels the same way made me so happy but at the same time.. I don't want him to give up the throne."

"How about you?" My father asked and that made me turn to him.

"I don't know. You know me, father." I said and he shook his head.

"I know deep down.. you're willing to sacrifice more than you already are."

"What?"

"When I first told your grandfather that I didn't want to take over his business, he disowned me. I moved out from the house and started to live alone." My father said as he blew his coffee.

"I regreted it." He said and that shocked me.

"But.. you said you're happy." I said disbelief and he nodded.

"I am but seeing my father got hurt and sad.. hurt me too. He loves me and he was willing to give me the world at that time but because of my selfish dream.. I left him."

"It's not that I hate being a businessman but.. I want freedom, I guess." My father sighed as he turned to me smiling.

"I know your dream is to be a successful businesswoman but if you're not happy with your life, you won't be happy once you got that title either,Mandy." My father said as he caressed my head.

"I've thought about giving it up.. but I don't think it will be easy for me."

"Then why don't you let Logan give his dream up? It's his choice, Mandy. He loves you so much to let you go that's why he's taking this risk."

"Logan is everything to me, father. I don't want to ruin his life.. I know we can be together if I say I want to but it's not fair for him." I sighed.

"Why are you wearing that then?" My father pointed at the ring on my left ring finger. I turned my eyes to the beautiful ring and sighed.

"We both have to move on, don't you think? I need to get married to claim that heritage and.. to.. make Logan move on with his life too." I said in a small tone.

Kyle proposed me yesterday and I said yes. He told me he's willing to help me to get my heritage and to prove Logan that I'm moving on with my life. Kyle also needed someone to help him so it's a win-win situation.

Today is the day that Logan and Linnea got engaged too so I think we're ready to get on our separate ways.

"Love won't be that easy, Mandy. It won't be easy to forget too." He said and I sighed.

"It's a like a forbidden love." I laughed dryly.

"But.. can you guarantee that he will be happy since you let him go like this?" My father asked and that made me remember his last words before leaving my apartment.

"I ruined his life."

"Love is much more stronger than you think, Mandy. If there's a chance coming in front of you, I want you to take it instead of pushing him away again." My father said and I turned to him.

"Why?"

"He loves you a lot, I can see that. There's no denying it that he won't let you go easily."

"I wish.. some things could be different." I said as I sipped my coffee.

"You can't expect things to be different because they won't. You're the one who can make it different, Mandy."

"Everyone! I bought us late dinner!" We both turned to my grandfather who just got into my apartment. He brought his guards to help him bring the food.

"Amanda.. call Kyle to come here. It's steak time!" He said and I chuckled.

"Okay." I said.

"I want you to be happy, I want you live your life to the fullest." My father added before walking into the room. I turned back to the view and took out my phone from my pocket dialing Kyle's phone number.

"Hey.. what's up?"

"Come over to my apartment, apparently my grandfather invites you to have a late steak party." I said and Kyle laughed.

"Wow.. good thing that I haven't eat dinner yet."

"I'll wait for you." I said and ended the call. I walked back into my apartment and put my coffee on the table. My maids helped my grandfather to set up the table.

"Kyle will come right?" My grandfather asked.

"Yes, he will." I said and then I walked to my room to get my changer when my eyes landed on the necklace that Logan gave me. I took it out this morning to find my earing in my drawer and I looked at it blankly.

I took it and sat on my bed remembering the times when we're together. I put it back into the box and put it into the my drawer.

I looked at myself in the mirror and I tried to smile but.. it came out so awkward. I looked down to my finger and looked at the ring that Kyle gave me.

"If there's.. a second chance.. I promise I will try my best to take it. If.. If I have the chance." I repeated and someone knocked on the door.

"Come in." I said loud enough for the other person.

"Hey.. what are you doing?" Kyle came.

"Nothing.. just taking my changer." I said as I took my charger from the table. He gestured me to come out and I nodded. I walked and he gave me a hug.