Chapter 2: The Aftermath

Once they were out of the grand ballroom, Chiyo let out a heavy sigh of relief. Pulling a stunt like that in front of the Fire Lord on his beloved daughter's birthday was a death wish. And that said death wish almost came true if it weren't for Lady Suiren's interruption of the impending doom.

All the while that she felt ten years were shaved off her lifespan, Lady Suiren kept on gushing and congratulating her at her so called 'debut performance'. "...good thing we chose that performance, Chiyo. It will surely leave a huge impression on the people. And I know for sure they will be talking about that performance in all the years to come!" She laughed as they wove through the maze of hallways towards her wing of the palace.

"I nearly died, Lady Suiren..." Chiyo reminded her mentor as they entered the large walk-in wardrobe filled with all of Suiren's kimonos, gowns, shoes, and various other clothing items and accesories.

"Nearly, but you didn't." She replied simply as if it were nothing. "Besides, what's art without a little danger? Ah! Here we go!" She pulled out a simple white yukata embroidered with red poppies on the hem and sleeves. "Wear this, and be out in five minutes!" She said as she walked out of the wardrobe.

Chiyo stared at the yukata, wondering why the Fire Lord Ozai wanted them back at the ballroom despite the fiasco. After the revelation that she was, in fact, a woman, the Fire Lord had merely laughed. In all honesty, Chiyo expected a rain of flames on both her and her mentor, but he only laughed saying that Lady Suiren always knew how to make a dramatic scene. He then ordered the armored girl to dress properly and attend the function again.

After securing the obi in place, she went out to have Suiren fix her hair and face. "The first step is complete, little one. But we have a long way to go... Eyes on the prize..."

They went back to the ballroom and Chiyo followed Suiren like a shadow wherever she went. She first talked with the nobles who attended the party, introducing Chiyo as her protegee. Every noble was amazed at her skill and bravery at such a young age. They even commented on how Chiyo's youthful beauty was almost at par with Lady Suiren's.

"You should see her by the time she is of a ripe age!" Lady Suiren boasted as she smiled sweetly. "I am quite sure, I'll be forgotten by you, my friends."

"How can I ever forget you, my Lady?!" One of the nobles dramatically put a hand on his chest above his heart. "For you are etched right here! My heart is big enough for the both of you!"

Suiren laughed and thanked the noble for his kind words and excused herself to move on to the next. That went on for a while until Chiyo heard someone clear their throat from behind her. She whipped her head around and saw the Princess Azula staring at her.

A bit flustered, she hurriedly bowed her head a bit, as it was tradition that one of their status must not look in the eyes of royals unless instructed. "Princess Azula!"

"You may raise your head." She said, kind of amused.

Chiyo raised her head and looked at her. "I am so sorry for the trouble I have caused you on your birthday..."

"Are you kidding?! You kicking those guards' butts is the highlight of my birthday!" She smirked and tugged her hand. "Come on, I'll introduce you to Mai and Ty Lee!"

She looked to her mentor and Suiren merely waved her off with a smile as if she told them to go and play.

"...thought you were a guy! Even Zuko had his jaw dropped..." Azula rambled on as they made their way through the throng of people conversing and having drinks. Finally they reached a group of girls their age. "Girls, this is the troublemaker from a while ago...what was your name again?"