Chapter 7: The Tale of Suiren

Hi! Be warned! Reader's discretion is advised. This chapter is not exactly kid-friendly, but then again, so am I.

Sidebar, I just really love Gong Li and her character Hatsumomo so much. I mean look at her. Isn't she so divine?

-TheGreatestConWoman-

            There were days when her fever would go down, and she would be able to leave the bed and her quarters, but there were also days when she could barely open her eyes, when she couldn't keep the food in her stomach, when she would cough u...

There were days when her fever would go down, and she would be able to leave the bed and her quarters, but there were also days when she could barely open her eyes, when she couldn't keep the food in her stomach, when she would cough up blood. 

'It is from stress and exhaustion.' The Royal physician had said. He prescribed the young child different herbs and calming remedies, but they were all futile. Relief continued to evade them.

All the while, Suiren stayed by her student's side. Even when the Fire Lord calls for her, she would refuse. It was her own form of protest for what he had done to her protegee, her child. She spent her days tending to her, feeding her, giving her towel baths.

'If I cast my memory further back, all of this is actually my fault.' 

She had taken care of this young child, even if she wasn't her own. She had taught this child everything she knew, like a mother does. And when the opportunity of a lifetime, being a concubine to the Fire Lord, presented itself, she selfishly grabbed it, tying the young child to her instead of leaving her behind the safe care of the Salinja troupe and her sisters.

She greatly coveted having a child like Chiyo so much.

Because bearing a child was such a gift that the great Suiren was denied.

They were finally going to elope. Xin's parents, the leader of the village, did not approve of his love for Suiren, an apprentice entertainer. Suiren was with child and they were cast out of the village. She and her lover had only managed to reach the gates of the small village when Fire Nation soldiers came to raid their village.

They burned everything to the ground, claiming the village in the name of the Fire Lord Azulon, taking able bodied men and earthbenders into custody, taking the women to serve as slaves in the Capital.