Chapter 5: Birth of the Blue Spirit and the Golden Fire Lily

I highly recommend listening to Kim Ji Soo's "Wing of Goryeo" while reading through Chiyo's performance. Look for the (***). I hope you enjoy reading this chapter as much as I did writing it! <3

-TheGreatestConWoman-

is a sucker for killer soundtracks and historical films. #RIPReplayButton

Night time came into the Royal Caldera City and the streets are filled with light from the Fire Lily Festival

Night time came into the Royal Caldera City and the streets are filled with light from the Fire Lily Festival. Stalls that sold different varieties of food, masks, clothes, and other novelties lined the streets and catered to the townspeople, nobles and commoners alike. Lines upon lines of red festive lanterns were hung throughout the city, illuminating the streets. Different bands played festive music, accompanied by fire dancers as they circled about, entertaining anyone who would stop to watch. Fire lilies were seen everywhere, hung on windows, on costumes, on people. It truly was a sight to behold.

Chiyo rode the palanquin with Lady Suiren as they set out to go to the plaza where she would perform. Her heart was beating so fast, she thought it would burst out of her chest. Lady Suiren placed a calming hand on top of hers and smiled reassuringly. "Stop worrying, child. You are a beautiful and talented apprentice of mine. They will all love you."

"What if I let go of a fan? What if I stumble on my skirt?!" Chiyo listed a lot of 'what-ifs' to her mentor and eventually got everything out.

"And what if things go right, exactly how we planned them? What if you succeed and they love you?" Suiren countered and placed a finger on the crease of Chiyo's forehead. "Stop frowning, you'll get wrinkles fast."

She relaxed a bit and tried to regulate her breathing. "Yes, Lady Suiren..."

They arrived at the plaza and were immediately greeted by Suiren's old friends. Just like her, they were entertainers from the Capital City. They belong to the most coveted troupe in the Fire Nation, the Salinja Troupe. Out of more than the original 20 members, only a few handful had remained in the city aside from Lady Suiren. Two of those were Lady Lee and Lady Anita, Suiren's closest friends. Both of them were dressed in elaborate kimonos and had their hair fixed into a braid that wrapped around their head, adorned with fire lilies and red jewels.

"It's been a long time, my sisters." Suiren greeted them first and hugged them tightly. Ever since she had entered the palace as a Royal Concubine two years ago, she had not set foot in the Capital Plaza. Seeing her two best friends really brought out a certain youthful glow in her.

"You look well!" Lady Anita gushed and cupped Lady Suiren's face in her thin hands. "That Fire Lord Ozai must be taking good care of you!"

"And who is this little darling with you?" Lady Lee approached Chiyo, and the latter smiled. "Is this little Chiyo?!"

"Hi Auntie Lee!" She ran and hugged the lady. "I've missed you so much!"