Chapter 34: Helplessness

The party had long ended and everyone had retired for the evening. After meeting his father in the throne room, he headed straight for Azula's room, slamming the door open angrily. "Why'd you do it?"

"You're going to have to be a little more specific." She whispered as she opened her eyes.

"Why did you tell father that I was the one who killed the Avatar?"

The princess sat up from her bed slowly. "Can't this wait until morning?"

"It. Can't."

She sighed, clearly annoyed by the disturbance. "Fine. You seem so worried about how father would treat you because you hadn't captured the Avatar. I figured if I gave you the credit, you'd have nothing to worry about."

Zuko was unnerved. This wasn't like Azula. "But why?"

"Call it a... generous gesture. I wanted to thank you for your help, and I was happy to share the glory."

The prince clenched his fist. "You're lying."

She chuckled and rolled her eyes. "If you say so."

"You have another motive. I just haven't figured out what it is."

Over the years, her brother had grown cynic, but he was still a tad bit naive, especially without her fuddy-duddy uncle. "Please, Zuko. What ulterior motive could I have? What could I possibly gain by letting you get all the glory for defeating the Avatar?" She approached him and leaned in to whisper in his ear. "Unless somehow, the Avatar was actually alive." She smirked as he tensed at the thought. She moved past him and got back up on the bed. "All that glory would suddenly turn to shame and foolishness."

Zuko's eyes widened as he finally realized his sister's motive. By letting him take all the credit, and if indeed the Avatar had survived, he would be the fool in front of their father. He will take the fall, and Azula will be unscathed.

"But you said it yourself, that was impossible." She gave him one last smirk as he turned around to leave. "Sleep well, Zuzu..."

            He found it difficult to sleep that night

He found it difficult to sleep that night. Several thoughts plagued him and he tossed and turned in the soft expanse of his bed, which he curiously found uncomfortable.

He needed advice.

The prince got up from bed, took a cloak from his wardrobe and headed out. He pulled the hood over his head and silently went past the guards of the palace. After a long trek, he finally reached the threshold of the Capital City Prison.

"Would uncle still see me after I had betrayed him? Could he still look at me and give me advice as he did before?"

"Who's there?!" A night guard had spotted him.