Chapter 36: The Past and The Future

"Good evening, General." Ming smiled as she set down the tray of the evening ration. "I brought you some jasmine tea tonight."

Iroh bowed his head and closed his eyes. "Thank you, Ming. You are too kind to me."

"It's the least I can do for the general I had always looked up to ever since I was a kid."

"Well... There is something else you can do for me..."

"What is it, general?"

He pulled out a scroll hidden in his tattered robes and handed it to her through the bars of his cell. "Take this to my nephew. Do not let anyone else see it."

            He heard the light scuffling of feet outside his bedroom doors, pulling him out of his half-asleep state

He heard the light scuffling of feet outside his bedroom doors, pulling him out of his half-asleep state. Zuko peeled the sheets from his body and rushed toward the door, but found no one, not even a trace or a shadow. Out of the corner of his eyes, he spotted a scroll on the floor. He picked it up and unfurled it to see its contents.

You need to know the story of your great-grandfather's demise.

It will reveal your own destiny.

            She was transferred out of her old bedroom into a bigger, grander suite in the Royal Wing of the Palace

She was transferred out of her old bedroom into a bigger, grander suite in the Royal Wing of the Palace. The room was more than twice the size of her old one, lavish with decors of red and gold. The floor was covered with thick, plush red carpets; the bed itself was massive, adorned with several red and black pillows. She was also assigned four new handmaidens; all of them sharing a common trait. They were all mute. She had a guess as to why they were specifically assigned to her, but she kept it to herself. The handmaidens helped her withdressing to bathing, and everything in between.

Aside from the new environment she was given, she was dealt one last instruction. She cannot, and must not, leave the room at any cost.

The Fire Lord kept Chiyo in this golden cage.

Only her mentor, Lady Suiren, was allowed access to the suite. The apprentice spent her days practicing her sword fighting skills on the pretense that the Lady was teaching her etiquette and dance. It was only two more days till the day of the black sun and she had to be in top condition.