Chapter 25: Tales of Ba Sing Se (Part 3)

The Tale of Kai

Another day has passed and Kai walked home from the market after all his deliveries. He smiled as he clutched the small sack of coins in his pocket. With these and Lily's savings from working in the eatery, they probably had enough to enter the middle ring and go to Ba Sing Se University.

He could already imagine her wide smile when he tells her the news.

But did he really want their journey to end?

He climbed up the rickety steps of their apartment and walked to the end of the hall. As he entered the room, he found her setting up the table with food. She looked up with a smile. "Hey!"

Kai looked over at the table and saw dumplings, fried rice, curry and noodles. "Hey... What's all this?"

Lily giggled as she set down their plates and chopsticks. "Well, I received a huge tip tonight from one of our customers so I kind of wanted to treat you to some good food." They sat down across from one another and sighed as they glanced at the food.

"You didn't have to do this, you know..."

"I know." She smiled and gently nudged the bowl of noodles towards him. "But I never really got to thank you for all the help you've given me, even when you barely knew me. Hell, I barely even know myself!" Lily laughed as she scratched the back of her head.

They talked about their day as they ate, about how Kai saw Mrs. Chu flirting with Mr. Gou; about how one of the cooks chased the pig-chicken through the eatery; about the old and friendly Mr. Mushi from the teashop.

"Oh right! Remember Mr. Mushi's nephew? The one who got into a fight the other night? He was the one who gave me the huge tip!" Lily gushed as she took the last dumpling and popped it into her mouth. "He was on a date with Jin!"

"Jin? Oh, that girl from the textile shop?"

"Yes!"

Kai shrugged. "Eh, she's okay, I guess."

She pouted at his remark. "Okay?! Kai, she's pretty!"

"You're prettier."

Lily was about to reach for her cup, but stopped midway, a deep blush coloring her cheeks. "I'm not pretty..." She mumbled.

The rest of their dinner passed in awkward silence and this unnerved him. He didn't mean to blurt out those words, but he meant them.

Lily was the most beautiful girl he had ever met, bar none. Even during that day when he saw her on the shore, her long dark hair tangled and spread like a halo around her pale face, her kimono dirtied with grime and blood. He even thought she was a sea spirit washed ashore back then.

He was broke out of his thoughts as Lily gathered the plates and bowls. "You go and take a rest, Kai. I know you've had a long day."

"Let me help you clean up." He stood up and helped her. Their hands brushed for a brief moment as they reached for the last bowl and they both pulled away, as if they had been shocked with a current. Lily excused herself and took the plates to the sink to wash them.

He must have gone crazy.

He must have lost his mind.

He wrapped his arms around her waist as she stood in front of the sink. Her back was to him and he buried his face at the crook of her neck, inhaling deeply. He pulled her closer to his chest.