Chapter 47: Back to Ember Island

They went out to find Katara, knowing she needed comfort, most especially after her arduous ordeal. They found her by the beach, her toes dipped in water as she stared into the sunset with tear-filled eyes.

"Katara!" Aang was the first to approach. "Are you okay?"

"I'm doing fine." She deadpanned.

"Zuko told me what you did. Or... what you didn't do, I guess. I'm proud of you."

There was a pause before Katara let out a heavy sigh. "I wanted to do it. I wanted to take out all my anger at him, but I couldn't." She turned around and looked guiltily at Chiyo. "I don't know if it's because I'm weak to do it, or—"

"It is weakness." Chiyo sat down next to Katara. "But this weakness of yours is what makes you so strong. Your compassion, your heart, it makes you human."

"But you said that if I didn't go all the way, I'll lose it all..."

She chuckled and stared up into red and orange hues of the sunset. "You'll lose it all, yes, but that doesn't mean that you won't gain anything in return. When Lady Suiren died, she lost her life; then I realized, it wasn't all futile. She had gained something."

"What was it?"

"Freedom. True freedom."

As Katara wiped away her tears, Aang placed a comforting hand on her shoulder. "You did the right thing. Forgiveness is the first step you have to take to begin healing."

"But I didn't forgive him. I'll never forgive him." She looked to Zuko, giving him a small, but genuine smile. "But I am ready to forgive you." She held out her hand and they clasped each other's arms, a custom of camaraderie and comradeship.

Katara excused herself and left to prepare dinner with Chiyo, leaving Aang and Zuko on the beach.

"You were right about what Katara needed." Zuko spoke as he watched them leave. "Violence wasn't the answer."

Aang smiled. "It never is."

"Then I have a question for you." He turned around to face the Avatar, his face unreadable. "What are you going to do when you face my father?"

            Their supplies had dwindled so they had to move to another island

Their supplies had dwindled so they had to move to another island. Zuko suggested they move to Ember Island, and he knew just the place where they could go and stay unnoticed.

Everybody looked around the beautiful and spacious villa up the mountain overlooking the island. "Say, who owns this place?" Suki asked as she stared at the ornate carvings on the walls and railings.

"My family does."

Everybody turned their heads to look at Zuko. "You mean we are in the Fire Lord's summer house?!"