Chapter 20: Journey to Ba Sing Se (Part 3)

The ferry sailed smoothly through the lake at night and the newly formed alliance set off to liberate food from the captain of the ferry. Once the night guard had passed, Smellerbee, Jet and Zuko emerged from the lower deck and ran stealthily to the kitchens.

Smellerbee stood near the railings as a look-out while Jet jammed his hook swords right in the door jamb where the lock is located. The door swung free and they started collecting all the food in sight. They worked fast and quiet until Smellerbee signaled that the night guard was coming. They used the back entrance where Longshot was waiting and he fired an arrow lined with a rope at the railing. They slid back down to the lower deck and disappeared out of sight.

They reached the common area where the refugees where and they started doling out the rations so that everybody could eat. The refugees gratefully accepted the warm meal, thanking the young ones profusely.

They sat back down with Uncle Iroh who was heartily slurping up a bowl of noodles. "So... Smellerbee, that's an unusual name for a young man."

Smellerbee glared at the old man. "Maybe it's because I'm not a man. I'm a girl!" She stood up and walked away, Longshot following her.

"Oh, now I see! It's a beautiful name for a lovely girl!" Iroh tried to correct his mistake, calling out after her.

Jet took her place and sat in front of Iroh and Zuko. "From what I hear, people eat like this every night in Ba Sing Se. I can't wait to set my eyes on that giant wall."

"It is a magnificent sight." Iroh agreed.

"So you've been there before?"

"Once..." He closed his eyes as he reminisced his days as a general of the Fire Nation. "When I was a... different man."

Jet could certainly relate about being a different man from the past. "I've done some things in my past that I'm not proud of, but that's why I'm going to Ba Sing Se. For a new beginning, a second chance."

"That's very noble of you." Iroh looked meaningfully at Zuko. "I believe people can change their lives, if they want to. I believe in second chances."

            The group resumed their journey through the Serpent's Pass as soon as the sun rose

The group resumed their journey through the Serpent's Pass as soon as the sun rose. Everything was going well until they reached a portion of the pass completely submerged underwater.

Katara ordered everyone to form a single file, taking a stance. With a deep breath and focus, she waterbended the lake water to part, revealing the submerged path. Aang handed his glider to Toph and helped Katara maintain the path. The deeper they traveled, the harder it was to bend the water apart, so Katara and Aang decided to maintain a bubble that encapsulated all of them as they walked.

A few minutes into the deepest part, the group saw a large, dark figure pass by the right side. "W-what is that?" Lily clutched Kai's arm, looking for the figure as it disappeared.