Chapter 33: Plans

His eyes darted left and right throughout the ballroom. That evening, a grand feast was held in the royal palace in the honor of their return, as well as the demise of the Avatar. Zuko and Azula were seated on their places next to the Fire Lord's seat, but their father wasn't there.

"Where is father?" The princess turned to her advisors, Lo and Li, who both bowed their heads lightly.

"The Fire Lord has some business that needed urgent attending to."

"Indeed, an urgent matter that needs taking care of."

She dismissed them with a wave of her hand and turned her gaze back to the celebrating crowd. "You seem downcast. Has Mai gotten to you already?" Azula looked to find her friends chatting casually by themselves in the corner, drinking wine and feasting on fruits. "Though actually, Mai has been in a strangely good mood lately."

"I haven't seen dad yet. I haven't seen him in three years since I was banished."

"So what?"

"So... I didn't capture the Avatar." He lowered his voice so that only his sister could hear.

Azula rolled her eyes. "Who cares? The Avatar is dead. Unless... you think he somehow miraculously survived?"

His thoughts went back to the crystal vial that the waterbender had shown him. During their incarceration in the crystal catacombs in Ba Sing Se, she had told him that the water from the Spirit Oasis contained special properties. She had even generously offered to heal his scar in that moment. If only the Avatar and his uncle had come a bit later...

He touched the scar lightly with his hand. "No. There's no way he could've survived."

They looked intensely at each other. He tried his best to look believable while she pried his expression for any signs of hesitation. "Well, then I'm sure you have nothing to worry about."

            Two hours well into the party and there was still no sign of the Fire Lord

Two hours well into the party and there was still no sign of the Fire Lord. Zuko grew anxious and unsettled. He stood up and marched out of the ballroom and through the winding halls until he reached the doors of the throne room.

He stood at the threshold and took a deep breath before opening the doors into the dark room.

"Please, Fire Lord Ozai! I beg of you, reconsider!"

Zuko heard the familiar voice of his father's concubine, the Lady Suiren. She was kneeling in front of the Fire Lord who sat in his high throne as he looked down at her.

The flames surrounding the throne rose higher and glowed brighter. "My word is final, Lady Suiren. There will be no further discussions about this matter!" His father's voice was as he remembered it to be, fearsome, strong, and decisive. He suddenly had second thoughts about seeking his father, but before he could turn around, he had called him out.