Chapter 43: Kismet

The sound of mechanical whirring and metal clanging filled the prison as cell door after cell door slid open. Prisoners and patrolling guards alike were confused, but with the signal of confirmation from the guard at the control room, the prisoners were released out in the courtyard.

Sokka met up with his father and Suki outside. "This is it! We have to start a riot!"

"Okay, but how do we do that?"

Hakoda gazed over the courtyard, looking for the biggest, toughest looking prisoner. "I'll show you."

He approached a bald, tattooed, inmate who was easily a foot taller than he was and shoved him forcefully forward. "Hey! What'd you do that for? That hurt my feelings!"

The chief was surprised at the gentle tone that the man had used. "Aren't you mad at me?"

"Normally I would be, but I've been learning to control my anger."

They were all dumbstruck for a second until Sokka felt a huge hand grab his shoulder. "Hey, you!" He turned around and came face to face with Chit Sang. "You're lucky I didn't rat you out. But my generosity come with a price. I know you're planning another escape attempt and I want in."

Sokka shrugged, Chit Sang indeed was a huge factor that they had gotten this far and not get caught. "Actually, we're trying to escape right now, but we need a riot. Would you happen to know how to start one?"

"A prison riot? Bitch, please..." Chit Sang stepped forward and grabbed the nearest prisoner. He easily hauled him over his head and faced the others. "Hey! RIOT!"

Not a second has passed yet and everyone started trading blows, punches, and fire fists. Chaos erupted among the hundreds of prisoners in the courtyard and all the guards were desperately calling for backup.

"Impressive..." Hakoda remarked with a stunned expression.

"Forget about controlling my anger. LET'S RIOT!"

She woke up when she heard the metal door of her cell slide open

She woke up when she heard the metal door of her cell slide open. She expected to hear the footsteps of prison guards, or the light tapping of Maya's booted feet on the stone floor. Upon opening her tired eyes and looking around, she found no one else with her in the cell.

And the door was wide open.

"Arshi Tengri, is this the opportunity that you have given me?"

Chiyo stood up from her cot, shielding her eyes from the light coming in from of the hallway, and walked towards the open door as fast as her tired legs could carry her.