Chapter 31: Options and Decisions

Toph felt the ground beneath her feet, searching for Katara inside their temporary residence in the upper ring. "There's no one else here."

"Katara is in trouble. I knew it!" Aang said as he turned to Sokka.

"Wait! Someone's at the door!" Toph gasped and smiled as she felt the familiar footsteps of the old geezer she met in the mountains. "Actually, I know who it is! It's an old friend of mine!" She walked past Sokka and Aang, and opened the door, revealing the former General Iroh behind it. "Glad to see you're okay!"

"I need your help."

Sokka and Aang took a fighting stance, shock still etched into their faces, while Toph greeted him with a smile and a wave. "You guys know each other?!" Aang looked back and forth between his friend and his enemy's uncle.

"I met him in the woods once and knocked him down. Then he gave me tea and some very good advice!"

Iroh lowered his head in a slight bow. "May I come in?" Toph nodded and let the old man through. He knew there was no there was no time to waste so he got straight to the point. "Princess Azula is here in Ba Sing Se."

"She must have Katara!"

"She has captured my nephew as well."

"Then we'll work together to fight Azula and save Katara and Zuko." Aang said determinedly, crossing his arms over his chest.

"Whoa there!" Sokka objected as he approached them. "You lost me at "Zuko"!"

The old man sighed. "I know how you must feel about my nephew, but believe me when I tell you there is good inside him!" He held on to the young man's shoulders, hoping to convey the sincerity in his words.

"Good inside him isn't enough! Why don't you come back when it's outside him, too? Okay?

"Katara is in trouble. All of Ba Sing Se is in trouble! Working together is our best chance!" Aand joined Iroh in convincing Sokka, who only sighed and turned away.

"I brought someone along who might be able to help us." Iroh walked out once more of the house and led them to the Dai Li agent who had his hands and feet bound together. Toph earthbended the floor beneath him to set him upright and trapping him further.

Iroh pulled away the cloth covering his mouth and they agent started talking. "Azula and Long Feng are plotting a coup. They're going to overthrow the Earth King!"

"My sister, where are they keeping Katara?!"

"I-In the crystal catacombs of old Ba Sing Se. Deep beneath the palace."

Without another word, they ran to the flying bison and headed back to the Earth Kingdom Palace.