Chapter 17: Learning and Pain

It was one of the rare moments where he got leave from his duties as general and he chose to spend the day with his young son. Lu Ten chased him up the hill where a lone tree stood, laughing all the way. He imitated the stance that most firebenders used and pretended to strike his father with a blast of fire. "Ha! I got you, Dad!"

Iroh turned and clutched his chest, falling back onto the soft grass. "Oh!" Young Lu Ten ran and jumped on top of his father in a dog pile, landing on his father's belly.

Laughter filled that day.

Years later and under that same tree, he knelt amidst the falling rain. There he had buried his own son who had died in battle. "My beloved Lu Ten..." He whispered unto the grave he had built. "I will see you again."

            "Uncle?" Iroh opened his eyes to find his nephew, looking at him with relief in his golden eyes

"Uncle?" Iroh opened his eyes to find his nephew, looking at him with relief in his golden eyes. "You were unconscious." Iroh got up, his chest and shoulder slightly sore still, but bandaged sufficiently. "Azula did this to you... It was a surprise attack."

"Somehow, that's not so surprising." Iroh leaned against the wall with great effort. Zuko took a cup and poured his uncle some tea.

"I hope I made it the way you like it." Zuko handed over the cup to a grateful Iroh. He closed his eyes and took a sip.

The taste sent shivers down his spine and he resisted the urge to spit it back out. "Good." He deadpanned. "That was very...um...bracing."

He gave the cup back to Zuko and gulped nervously when he saw him pour another cup and hand it back to him. Zuko turned back to the kettle to pour himself a cup and Iroh took this opportunity to throw the foul contents out the window behind him.

"So..." Zuko started. "It's only a matter of time before I run into Azula again. I'm going to need to know more advanced firebending if I'm going to stand a chance against her." He looked down at the floorboards. "I know what you're going to say: She's my sister and I should be trying to get along with her,--"

"No, she's crazy and she needs to go down." The prince was a bit taken aback, but he nodded in understanding. Iroh stood up, slowly but surely. "It's time to resume your training."