Chapter 39: Help from the Past (Part 1)

"I know you're nervous, but remember, firebending in and of itself is not something to fear." Training started early for Zuko and Aang. They picked an open space away from the camp in case any accidents occur.

"Okay. Not something to fear..."

"But if you don't respect it," Zuko crossed his arms over his chest. "It will chew you up and spit you out like an angry komodo-rhino!" His raised voice surprised Aang. "Now show me what you've got. Any amount of fire you can make."

Aang took a couple huffs of breath before attempting, for the first time in months, to firebend again. A pathetic puff of smoke oozed from his hand. He looked to his new teacher with an awkward grin of embarrassment. "Maybe I need a little more instruction. Perhaps a demonstration?"

"Good idea. You might want to take a couple steps back." Zuko took on a firebending stance and prepared to demonstrate to the Avatar his hard-earned skills. With a grunt, he punched the air, shocked to see only an arms-length of fire that disappeared quickly when there should've been at least ten-paces worth.

His student clapped to the side, irritating Zuko further. "What was that?! That was the worst firebending I've ever seen!"

"I thought it was... nice."

Zuko tried a couple more times, but attained the same results. "Why is this happening?!"

Aang scratched his head, trying to look for answers than won't offend Zuko. "Maybe it's the altitude. That last one kinda felt hot."

"Don't patronize me! You know what it's supposed to look like!"

"Sorry, Sifu Hotman..."

"And stop calling me THAT!"

Sokka had finished his own training and sat down to watch the pair. "Hey, jerks! Mind if I watch you two jerks do your jerkbending?"

"GET OUT OF HERE!"

He grinned as he got on the firebender's nerves. "Okaaay, take it easy! I was just kidding around. He snorted as he walked away. "Heh, jerkbending. Still got it."

            That evening as they were having dinner, Zuko decided to confront them about their slightly alarming problem

That evening as they were having dinner, Zuko decided to confront them about their slightly alarming problem. "Listen everybody, I've got some pretty bad news. I've lost my stuff."

"Don't look at me! I didn't touch your stuff!" Toph raised her hands in defense. The motion earned her a few suspicious glances but they let it slide.

"If only that were the case." He thought bitterly. "I'm talking about my firebending. It's gone."

The silence around the camp fire was broken by Katara's cold laughter. "I'm sorry. I'm just laughing at the irony. You know, how it would've been nice if you'd lost your firebending a long time ago."