Chapter 35: Opened and Closed

"I'm so excited to spend the weekend on Ember Island!" Ty Lee leaned against the railings of the ship and felt the cool sea breeze in her face. "It'll be great to hang out on the beach and do nothing!"

"Doing nothing is a waste of time!" Zuko snapped at her. "We're being sent away on a forced vacation... I feel like a child!"

The Fire Lord had ordered Lo and Li to take the four teenagers to Ember Island, a popular resort area lush with palm trees, white sand, and extravagant vacation homes. None of them had a clue why they were sent away, but a vacation might just be what they need.

"Lighten up." Azula stood with Ty Lee out on the deck. "So Dad wants to meet with the sages and council alone without anyone else around. Don't take it personally." But secretly, she agreed with her brother. She would much rather attend the war meetings with the Fire Lord rather than spend the day on a beach.

"Doesn't your family have a house on Ember Island?"

Azula nodded. "We used to come every summer when we were kids."

"That must have been fun!"

Zuko looked away watching the waves form as their ship pushed forward. "That was a long time ago..."

            An hour later, they reached one of the minor docks of Ember Island

An hour later, they reached one of the minor docks of Ember Island. Lo and Li led the way eagerly. They wore matching pink robes and wide brimmed straw hats. "Welcome to Ember Island, kids..." The folds and wrinkles of their faces deepened as they smiled.

The teens looked up at their temporary residence with disappointed looks. They imagined and expected something more... grand.

"It smells like old lady in here..." Zuko complained as they entered Lo and Li's personal guest house, gifted by the late Fire Lord Azulon.

"Gee... I wonder why." Mai replied dryly.

Ty Lee stood in front of a painting, mesmerized. "Who are these two beautiful women?"

Lo and Li stood next to the painting and recreated the poses. "Can't you tell?"

They tried their hardest to reign in their laughter as they continued looking around the guest house. "We know you're upset that you were forced to come here this weekend..." Li consoled them with a motherly look.

"But Ember Island is a magical place."

"Keep an open mind."

"Give it a chance."

"And it can help you understand yourselves and each other."

Lo picked up an ornamental rock placed on the table and trailed her weathered fingers over it. "The beach has a special way of smoothing even the most ragged edges."